Stout Faucet and Beer Gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyennie

Reaction score
I'm thinking about replacing a regular faucet with a stout faucet and using beer gas for my stout. What is the process to use beer gas??? Do I carb with CO2 like normal and use the beer gas to push the beer through the faucet???

Do I carb with CO2 like normal and use the beer gas to push the beer through the faucet???

You guessed correctly. The 30-40% CO2 in the blended beer gas will maintain the carb (especially at the high pressure used for a foamer faucet), but the initial force carb is better done with CO2.

be careful not to overcarb...it's pretty easy to do. shoot for about 1.2 volumes.

I use CO2 to carb. I usually set the pressure to 5-8 lbs to lightly carb for a couple of weks and then put it on the beergas to serve. 30-35 lbs and I get a great pour.

I've always wondered how this works. I'll be getting a nitro setup soon. 30-35 beergas psi isn't the same as co2 psi?

I've always wondered how this works. I'll be getting a nitro setup soon. 30-35 beergas psi isn't the same as co2 psi?

Beer gas is a blend of CO2 and nitrogen. Since nitrogen is highly insoluble, you can use beer gas to push beer at the high pressure required for nitro faucets (or commercial long draw systems) while keeping the carbonation where you want it. A nitro faucet works by forcing the beer at high pressure through a restrictor plate with tiny holes in it. The beer being forced through the tiny holes at high pressure causes some of the CO2 to come out of solution, but in the form of tiny micro-bubbles. This creates the cascading head effect and creamy mouthfeel. Most nitro faucets seem to work best at 25-35 psi, and you can use a calculator like the one below to determine the best gas blend for your system based on the serving temp and desired carb level. As mentioned above, you want to keep the carb level fairly low. About 1.8 vol is the maximum most nitro faucets can handle before turning into a foamy mess.

http://mcdantim.mobi/easyblend.html

Beer gas is a blend of CO2 and nitrogen. Since nitrogen is highly insoluble, you can use beer gas to push beer at the high pressure required for nitro faucets (or commercial long draw systems) while keeping the carbonation where you want it. A nitro faucet works by forcing the beer at high pressure through a restrictor plate with tiny holes in it. The beer being forced through the tiny holes at high pressure causes some of the CO2 to come out of solution, but in the form of tiny micro-bubbles. This creates the cascading head effect and creamy mouthfeel. Most nitro faucets seem to work best at 25-35 psi, and you can use a calculator like the one below to determine the best gas blend for your system based on the serving temp and desired carb level. As mentioned above, you want to keep the carb level fairly low. About 1.8 vol is the maximum most nitro faucets can handle before turning into a foamy mess.

http://mcdantim.mobi/easyblend.html

Thank you so much! I've been looking all over for this kind of explanation.

Back