Storage position for sparkling cidr bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_italian_cider_maker

Reaction score
Hi all! Hope the Easter is going great for you all!

I used my Easter weekend to bottle my cider batches.

I added priming sugar to obtain champagne style cider (I used heavy champagne bottles).

Now I'm in doubt because I don't know if store the bottles in horizontal or upright position...

Any advice??

Thank you all and happy Easter again!

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/06/storing-wine-on-its-side-is-bullsht-says-scientist/
I’m thinking do whatever makes you happy. Doing a quick internet search seems that even experts can’t come to an agreement. I did find some articles that talked about not storing bottles in the refrigerator upright for a long time as this can accelerate the drying of the cork. I think temperature and light are more detrimental to your cider then how you store them.

If it were me, I would store the bottles upright for a couple weeks so the sediment from the refermentation settles to the bottom and then store them however you want.

I guess it then depends on how long before you drink it. The idea with corks is to store the bottles on their side so that the corks remain in contact with the contents and don't dry out which can allow O2 to enter the bottle and oxidise the contents. But I think this is only a real problem with wine stored for many years. My cider doesn't last that long!

@Chalkyt my idea is to age in bottle for a period between 6 months and 1/2 years and look what's the result.

Do you think it would be possible?
The bottles are in a dark and fresh room.

I have a few left that were bottled in 2018 and 2019. They are crown capped and stored upright in the dark at around 15C-18C, and have "matured" to the point where they are better than when they were bottled. Carbonation is still good.

Latest posts

Back