steep grains at what temp for True Brew kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven9st_surfer

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm picking up my third extract kit from the local homebrew shop tomorrow (True Brew Porter), and had a question while I'm thinking about it. On my last kit (the True Brew California Common), the instructions said to bring the water to a boil, then steep the grains for 20 min. Water boils around 210F, right? And for AG brewing, you're supposed to keep the temp of the steeping grains around 155F, right? So what's with the directions? Are they bad, and should I steep at 155, instead?

Also, any more changes that should be made from the True Brew directions that people have come across, I'd love to hear them. I'm planning on using the Porter kit, 1 week primary, 2 week secondary (racked onto a chopped-up, vodka-soaked vanilla bean for some added flavor), and at least a month in the bottle.

So, how's the plan sound? Any changes yall would suggest? Thanks in advance!

Don't boil!

Keep it around 150-155. Boiling will release tannins which will ruin the taste of the beer.

NEVER BOIL GRAINS!

Did you boil the grains on the last batch? Have you tasted that batch yet?

:mug:

+1 to not boiling your grains. Keep them at around 150 for about 30 minutes.

Also, don't hold the 1 week primary, 2 week secondary rule like it is gospel. Many of the experienced brewers keep the brew in their primaries for 3 weeks and go straight to the bottle. Since porter is a darker beer and clarity isn't a huge issue, you might want to consider this. It also reduces the possibility of infection. Lots of info on the boards about it.

Good luck!

Don't boil!

Keep it around 150-155. Boiling will release tannins which will ruin the taste of the beer.

NEVER BOIL GRAINS!

Did you boil the grains on the last batch? Have you tasted that batch yet?

:mug:

I didn't exactly boil the grains on the last one. I followed the directions, and brought the water to a boil, then took it off the heat, and after I got the grains in the pouch (a minute or so later), I steeped for 20 min. Water was still probably way too hot, though... Oh well, I'll see how it turns out. Live and learn. And I haven't tasted it yet, its been in primary for about 3 days now.

+1 to not boiling your grains. Keep them at around 150 for about 30 minutes.

Also, don't hold the 1 week primary, 2 week secondary rule like it is gospel. Many of the experienced brewers keep the brew in their primaries for 3 weeks and go straight to the bottle. Since porter is a darker beer and clarity isn't a huge issue, you might want to consider this. It also reduces the possibility of infection. Lots of info on the boards about it.

Good luck!

If I want to add the vanilla, I've read most that most of the recipes have you add it your secondary, then rack on top of that. If I wasn't to use a secondary, when would be the next best time to add the vanilla? After a week in primary? I also remember reading something about using pure vanilla extract instead of the bean. If I were to do that, could I just add it straight to the wort before fermentation? If I can get away without using a secondary, that would make this a lot easier

and thanks for the helps guys, I appreciate it!

I ran into this with the True Brew Oktoberfest, the directions in these kits are awful. I just tossed them and did my own thing, including doing a larger boil instead of a 1.5G boil like the recipe calls for.

Its bottle conditioning now so we will see how that worked out in a week or so.

I steep my grains on the way to boil. Hi heat up to 170* then back off and maintain ~160-170 for 20 minutes. Remove grain and get your boil on.

I just got back from the LHBS, and ended up getting the Brewer's Best Smoked Porter kit. I looked at the Brewer's Best next to the True Brew Porter, and the BB just seemed like a much higher quality kit. Even the directions make it clear not to go over 170 while steeping. Speaking of directions, they're all much clearer and detailed. If the ingredients are as good as the directions, I don't think I'll be buying another True Brew.

I'll be brewing it up this Sunday when my primary opens up (racking my California Common to my new 5 gallon Better Bottle secondary). Just need a second fermentaion lock, and I'll be in business. Thanks again for all the suggestions

I think the Brewers Best kits are far better than the True Brew. Just overall better quality. I started with about 4 or 5 of the Brewers Best kits and I was very happy with all of them.

In regards to your earlier question about vanilla, I sort of need to go against what I said about primaries. Usually when you are adding flavoring to your brews (fruit, vanilla, bourbon, etc.) that is the exact time to use a secondary.

Just throw the vanilla bean in the primary after a couple weeks and leave it for however long you plan. Just pretend like you moved it to secondary.

Latest posts

Back