Starter for 7 months old yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolus14

Reaction score
Ok, I've searched and this question has more or less been asked and answered in a few round about ways, so just looking for very direct answer.

I'm planning to make an Imperial Stout this weekend, OG 1.110, and have about 200ml from a previous porter that I washed Jan 26th. The yeast is WLP002 so it's very compact in the jar, has been refrigerated since it was washed. Mrmalty states 10% viability, but it does for almost anything over a certain age so I'm looking for more real life "experience" compared to "software" as to whether I should make a 2L starter then make a 4L starter, go right to a 4L starter, or buy a new pack?

If I get a new pack i'm thinking 1L straight to 4L starter, or should I do the 2L in between? I realize smaller are steps are the most ideal for growing good happy yeast, I'm just not sure If I'll have the time to do 3 starters before Saturday.

I did a 1.6 liter lager starter a few weeks ago with an Oktoberfest lager wyeast pack that was dated December 2013. Mr. Malty told me it was 0% viable!

I didn't really have the time to go back to my LHBS to switch it out, so I went with it anyway. 1.036 OG 1.6L starter for about 36 hours at room temp into a 1.055 Oktoberfest at 52 degrees F.

I had signs of active fermentation within 12 hours and full attenuation after about 8 days, so it was a quite healthy lager fermentation.

So, even though the yeast was old, it definitely was at least somewhat viable and ultimately did it's job.

Well I'm going for it 2L starter made

1407811769761.jpg

You'll be fine. Stored under those conditions, the yeast should be fine, although dormant, as you just showed. For an 1.110 stout though, if you have time, when the starter is done, crash cool, decant and add another 2L of fresh starter wort. That will get your stout going in no time.

I was going to do the same thing this week, but I decided against it because I have about 50ml of yeast and only had two days (and it was a double IPA...)

Looks great! Good luck!

I'll take the time to do this one right. Just another 2L or should I do 4L?

I'll take the time to do this one right. Just another 2L or should I do 4L?

4L total should be plenty. It's difficult to predict based on your conditions. If you got a healthy start with the 2L you originally did, I would go with 2, maybe 3 liters of starter wort for step up. Crash and decant again and only pitch the slurry, you'll have a rocking ferment.

I have used yeast samples that were12 months old. Not proud of it, and wouldn't recommend, but it happened. If the solids take on the color of peanut butter, I discard it. If its white or light to medium gray, I make a starter before i go to the LHBS to puy my grains. That way if the starter fails I can still reboil the medium and pitch a fresh sample.

Latest posts

Back