ss mash tun dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simie

Reaction score
Greetings Brewers:
Just wondering if anyone has any feedback about the dimensions of a ss 20
gallon mash tun. Some are tall and thinner in diameter (Tall Boy), and some are say 20 OD and 16 inches high, and in a nutshell somewhat cheaper. Would like to go that route instead of say a "tall boy" Does anyone see a problem with short and squatty? Brew kettles guys, not women.
Thanks..Simie:mug:

What size batches? And what OG beers? Short and squat can leave a shallow grain bed and lead to channeling. Nothing wrong with short and squat women, different strokes for different folks.

We do 11 gallon batches. 25 gallon brew kettle, 20 gallon ss hot liquor tank, and when I figure out about the mash tun geometry, the mash tun. We're upgrading from sanke keggles.

Honestly it doesnt matter, i'd go for whatever is cheapest and you can get the best false bottom in your price range for.

For me that was a cheap $100 concord 20 gallon pot and a false bottom from Jaybird @ Norcalbrewing. Cheap pot, expensive sturdy false bottom.

A lot of people seem to go the other way which confuses me, buy a blichmann or some other expensive pot then get confused when grain gets by or their cheap false bottom gets crushed under the weight.

Really the only deciding factor should be what will fit on your table easiest.

Thanks Fuzzy. I was hoping I could go that route. Time for a west coast IPA

Back