Valve Tree planning -- SS Brewtech

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brockr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering getting something like the SS Brewtech valve tree manifold. But I've been having a hard time figuring out how this would work in my 3-vessel RIMS system. I finally put some pen to paper (and then mouse pointer to screen) to draw it out. I would appreciate a sanity check, though, because I feel like I'm missing something. As I have it set up, I would be draining the mash tun into the boil kettle through the whirlpool port. I'm using an SS Brewtech eKettle with this whirlpool attachment. This seems less than ideal, but I guess it'll work...right? If I wanted to fill the BK through the bottom port, I guess I could add two Ts at the locations shown by the dotted circles and connect them. Is one set up better than the other?

If anyone has any suggestions of a better way to route the tubing, I would love the feedback. At the very least, I'm looking for a "yes, this should work fine." Thanks!
Valve tree.png

There's nothing wrong with filling from the whirlpool port and in fact, I think it's better because it gives you longer to visually evaluate your runoff rate. Through the drain, it would be under-wort quickly. What I think I'm confused about, or maybe you are, is how you stop the sparge water from mixing with the runoff wort when they are going through the same manifold. I think the water pump output can just be injected in between the tree the the RIMS with a tee with no extra valves.

When the HLT valve is shut, the hydraulic pressure will keep mash recirculation from entering that tubing. When sparging, closing the valve nearest the RIMS on the tree will stop sparge water from entering the tree.

@Bobby_M Ah...yes, I knew I was missing something. Just to make sure I understand what you are suggesting, does the below diagram look right?

I guess I would have an extra valve on the tree, unless there is another use for it.

Valve tree 2.png

Back