Split batch yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Methose

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew an Old Rasputin clone, and doing a split batch between a Belgian and Nottingham yeast, to see the differences.
I've enjoyed a few Belgian style Imperial Stouts, and I love Old Raspy, so I thought I would see what comes out of this brew.

My question might sound dumb but, what does this do to the amount of yeast to pitch?
Beersmith shows the need for 321 Billion cells (2 pkg dry, no starter) using just Nottingham on a 5 (5.5 into ferment vessel) gallon batch.

The recipe is here

For the Belg yeast, I was thinking about using some WLP 530, I washed from a Trippel a while back, and making a starter with it.

Any thoughts? Do I just use one pack Nottingham in the ~3 gal batch, or is the yeast pitching rate based on the gravity too low for that?

Plug in your batches sizes and estimated OG into a yeast pitching calculator like yeastcalculator.com or mrmalty.com and see what you get.

Back