sooo...during a brew day with a few beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaviking

Reaction score
Brewed up what I hope to be, a pretty killer black IPA last weekend. A friend of mine was over and i had family in town.. a few beers were going down.. you know....

To make a long story short, I had two carboys, one filled with PBW and the other with Starsan... I asked my friend to empty the carboy, not really thinking and he emptied the one with PBW... I realized it when I was cleaning up after brew day...

the question is, do you think its gonna matter? I know cleaner isn't sanitizer, guess I am just curious if its totally fe'd or if I should just RDWHAHB.

I have never done this in my 4 years brewing, so I have no idea what to expect.

My first couple brews were only cleaned and not sanitized and they turned out great. don't worry and hope for the best.

PBW definitely isn't "no rinse." It has a pretty strong smell and flavor, especially if there was any undissolved cleaner left at the bottom. I don't know about toxicity at that level of dilution -- hopefully not too bad?

Thanks guys... at this point its gonna be a wait and see... so I'll let you know what happens.. my friend took a the other 5 gallons home with him in a properly prepared carboy, so we'll be able to taste the difference.

my saving grace is that it is a black IPA... hoping the hops and the dark malts can cover it up.

Back