Solo AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
So tonight is my first solo AG.

Doing a cream ale. OG est about 1.050.

It called for 1.5lbs of flaked corn but I forgot to get some. So the people here told me to use grits as a substitue. I used the equivalent amount... but wasn't sure if it should be 24 oz dry... or 24 after cooked.... So I used about 30 OZ after if was cooked... probably closer to 2lbs.... mashing away right now at about 150-1. Had to add some boiling water as I started low.

My question is when do you guys take a gravity reading? I'm using a little sugar to boost the ABV but am worried I will be low on efficiency and make a weak weak beer. So when should I check it? After I pull the mast out?

At a minimum, you should take a gravity reading right after you come to a boil. This is easiest if you have a refractometer. If you know your boiloff rate, you can then predict what your gravity will be at the end of the boil.

You can also estimate your expected pre-boil gravity based on your grain bill...but that requires that you know your efficiency ahead of time, and you won't know that since this is your first batch.

Take a reading anyway, at the beginning of your boil , and again at the end. If you can, take a note of your beginning and ending boil volume too. You're going to need this info later, when you start trying to figure out how to get repeatable results. Brewing software will be a huge help.

Anyway, for now, just worry about the mechanics of your process and taking copious notes. You'll end up with beer no matter what, and over time, you'll be able to get your process, system, and recipes dialed in.

Pre boil after cooled was at 1.040. For a sample post boil that is cooling now.

Back