So.... I moved..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brotan1x

Reaction score
and part of the move meant I could not brew for almost 5 months. 5 MONTHS!!! its been crazy!

Now that we are in the new house, I'm finally at a state where I can brew again..

Problem is.. I'm nervous.. what if I forgot how to brew?

Get some cans of hopped malt extract, mix with water, add yeast, wait a week, then bottle using carbonation tabs. Wait 2 more weeks then enjoy your beer! ;)

Use this time wisely. This is an opportunity to re-read about the brewing process and cull any bad habits you may have picked up in the past.

I'm in the same boat and every time I think the brewery is going to be up and running a new "project" pops up for the new house. The time off has allowed me to review my process and think about changes to my equipment. Excited to get it going soon.

I get what you're feeling! As much as I enjoy an all grain brewday, I can get a little anxious just beforehand. Why? Dunno. (Beer helps)
I took about 5-6 months off from homebrewing in 2014 to study for Boards and it felt like starting over.

and part of the move meant I could not brew for almost 5 months. 5 MONTHS!!! its been crazy!

Now that we are in the new house, I'm finally at a state where I can brew again..

Problem is.. I'm nervous.. what if I forgot how to brew?

Bud lite is your friend ... :roll eyes: ... :D

Oh man, you're screwed! There has been so many new discoveries in the last 5 months! 2 minute boils! 3 day fermentation! Hopping techniques that will blow your mind!

Dude, brew on! Print out the steps so you don't forget something and brew on! :)

Enjoy that first tasty beverage!!

If you can forget how to brew in 5 months, then you might need to see a neurologist. Heh heh.

I wouldn't say that brewing is like riding a bicycle, but I would say that it's like cooking. Once you learn how to cook and do it often enough, even if you stop cooking for a year or so, you'll be able to jump right back into it in no time. I think the longest I've ever gone without cooking (as an adult) was two or three months, but I can guarantee you I wouldn't forget in 5 or 10 or 20 months.

I have been an unemployed Chef for the last 6 months. I just finished a two day stage tonight, and I didn't forget how to cook in those 6 months (and I landed the job). You'll be fine.

I have been an unemployed Chef for the last 6 months. I just finished a two day stage tonight, and I didn't forget how to cook in those 6 months (and I landed the job). You'll be fine.

Congrats,
On getting back into the workforce. I am forced out of work for 12 months. Let's hope I remember how to do what i do when I get back to work in December.

To the OP
Some time off of brewing will only make you a bit rusty. Take some good notes and make a game plan. Chances are you will screw up on Brew day in some small or large way resulting in beer.

I thing I'm good guys... my original post was more sarcastic idiocy. But I appreciate the pointers.

I've been inspecting all my gear for " moving damages". My 5 glass carboys came out fine. The fermentation chamber go knocked around but it's holding steady temp..Erlenmeyer flask is missing...I wish I had dismantled my MashTun though... I'm fearing finding a problem with it so I'm doing that last...

Most likely I'll do an extract batch to break the new house in.

Technically you can unpack boxes and put stuff together with store bought beer. But you should definately wait to do any major work or yard work until you have a little bit of home brew, just to be on the safe side.

Back