Smash 2Row w/Citra or Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I was in Fiji, I fell in love with bitter beer drunk warm!

I am finding now, I am not so much into bitter, but more light/refreshing.
For a mouthful of beer, I'll stick to my porters/stouts. I LOVE a warm Guinness.

Anyways, Ima try a SMaSh with 2Row, and probably Citra to start.... added late so less bitter, more flavour, and perhaps at 0min for aroma.

I may also do this with Amarillo, after so I can compare. I'm looking for a light beer to drink (A lot of 'em) around the campfire. I was a member of the 40Beer club, and still enjoy a night of embibing.... but not to get kneecrawling/snotpuk'n drunk.
I'm leaning toward something around 3.5-4% ABV, and light hops.

can anyone offer a reason why this won't work?

...and I've been going to so much trouble to serve beer cold.

Sure, your plan will make beer. Even if you don't want it to be bitter, I think you will want to add some bittering hops at the beginning of the boil to cut the sweetness. Then, load up as much as you like at the end of the boil for flavor/aroma. Citra and Amarillo are good for that.

I can't imagine why one couldn't do a low IBU session SMASH using Citra or Amarillo. There have been plenty of commercial brews that featured one or the other, so why not...

Cheers!

If you don't mind using two hops, I'd do a late addition of Amarillo/Simcoe 50/50. They are incredible together.

Thanks for the input folks.

I am not opposed to using two hops, but initially was looking for simple.

I think I would add some hops early, but maybe not at 60min.... I'll have to do some gazintas to figure out how much bitter is reduced by adding at... say, 30min as opposed to 60 min.
We shall see.

Thanks for the input folks.

I am not opposed to using two hops, but initially was looking for simple.

I think I would add some hops early, but maybe not at 60min.... I'll have to do some gazintas to figure out how much bitter is reduced by adding at... say, 30min as opposed to 60 min.
We shall see.

I love Amarillo hops . I brew a Belgian wit using nothing but Amarillo and it works quite well . Heres what I have as hops wise at 60 min and 30 min with both Citra and Amarillo .

Amarillo 1oz @ 60 = 30 ibu / @ 30= 25.5
Citra 1oz @ 60 = 40 ibu / @30 = 30 ibu

I love Amarillo hops . I brew a Belgian wit using nothing but Amarillo and it works quite well . Heres what I have as hops wise at 60 min and 30 min with both Citra and Amarillo .

Amarillo 1oz @ 60 = 30 ibu / @ 30= 25.5
Citra 1oz @ 60 = 40 ibu / @30 = 30 ibu

Thanks Jag, so, 1oz at 60min and 1oz at 30min?

I have done many a SMaSH using Maris Otter and Centennial. I tried Citra once, and it was ok, but have gone back to Centennial.

...and I've been going to so much trouble to serve beer cold.

Sure, your plan will make beer. Even if you don't want it to be bitter, I think you will want to add some bittering hops at the beginning of the boil to cut the sweetness. Then, load up as much as you like at the end of the boil for flavor/aroma. Citra and Amarillo are good for that.

So nice to see you posting Singletrack. Don't be a stranger.

Back