Small volume, wide mouth fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
I've been on a heavy "wide mouth" fermenter kick lately. I've scored my first BMB and am planning on buying more.

One lament I had, however, was the lack of lower-volume options. I am planning test batches and smaller batches of brew that I just don't need in large volume, and don't want to go back to my smaller volume carboys. I know I can do smaller batches in standard sized carboys (primary, at least) but that also bugs me because ferm chamber room is limited. I have a 1 gallon glass jar, which is nice, but wanted something in "medium sized."

Cruising around Amazon, I came across these:

https://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-2-5-Gallon-Montana-Brushed/dp/B000RMTG3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477411853&sr=8-1&keywords=2.5+gallon+glass+jar

I ordered two to check them out. Now that I have my hands on them, I have to say that I'm very happy with them, for the price. The glass is thick with no bubbles and sure to handle the rough work of being in my employ. The lid is actually even better than I expected. The interior of the lid is plastic, with a silicone lip that seals the jar quite well. I'd guess the seal is not going to be as good as a rubber stopper in a traditional glass carboy, but equal or better than the seal I get with the 2-piece top on a BMB, and WAY better than a bucket.

I'm thinking it'll be easy to drill a hole for an airlock, install a rubber bumper, and be fermenting in one of these in no time.

At $20 a pop, I thought they'd be worth bringing to HBT's attention. If you search Amazon for "2.5 gallon glass jar" you'll find several different styles, all with similar attributes.

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back