Smacked pack of Wyeast 1335 British Ale...okay to save???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadilos

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday my step son bought NB's Surly Bitter and smacked the pack of 1335 – only then to open the box and find it's a partial mash kit. We are unfamiliar with partial mashes, being new brewers with only extract kit experience, and didn't have the time yesterday to read how to do it properly (and didn't want to ruin all that yummy beer!). We plan to make the kit in 3 or 4 weeks when he's back in town. After about an hour I placed the yeast in the fridge and see it's inflated this morning.

How long will this pack last in this condition?

And as a side question, the beer has a OG of 1.040 and Mr. Malty says 1.7 packs would be needed without a starter – should we do a starter or is it okay to just use one pack? Or maybe two?

Smack packs are good (as per Wyeast) up to about 1.060.

Search partial mash BIAB. Pretty simple, stovetop is ok, makes great beer. Get a couple of these under your belt and you'll never to back to all extract.

Good luck.

Thanks, freisste. Looking forward to going BIAB someday soon!

Should I throw this yeast away and get a new one?

You're fine, the smack pack just tells you that the yeast are healthy. No harm no foul, they'll be ready to go on brew day.

Back