Wyeast 1469 and Mr. Malty date/viability setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smizak

Reaction score
Experienced some interesting yeast behavior.

Bought some ingredients back in December, then life and holidays got in the way and it sat until the beginning of this month. Mr. Malty claimed that I would need 2 packs of the yeast I had, mfg. date 12/3/2013, no matter how large of a starter.

I figured I would have to buy fresh yeast, but I smacked the pack anyway for the hell of it. To my surprise, it fully inflated in an hour. I put the yeast in 1.5L of 1.040 starter wort and set in on the stirplate, it vigorously fermented out overnight. Kept it under the spent starter wort for a week and then decanted and added another 1L of wort night before brewday. Incredibly, the krausen managed to climb up out of the spinning wort and blow yeast all over the place. 1L in a gallon jug, good 8 inches of headspace too.

Anyway, day 5 in the fermenter and it's still blowing off. I know this yeast has a reputation for being very active, but this has me thinking.

I typically only get really fresh smack packs(<2 week old), so using yeast this old was a new experience for me. Does anyone have any experience with Mr. Malty over-estimating the decreasing viability with age?

Latest posts

Back