slow chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadarnell

Reaction score
does chilling pretty slow (about an hour) have much of an effect on hop utilization? ... i think my last couple brews have a little more bitterness than i intended ... and i have gone to chilling pretty slow and cutting down on my use of ice .. i don't have a chiller ... i just use ice in the bathtub method .. thoughts?

What was the timing of your hop additions? It could be possible if you had a large amount of late hop additions that were supposed to be used for aroma and flavor but instead were accidentally used as bittering hops since the wort was able to maintain a high tempeture for a long period of time.

What was the timing of your hop additions? It could be possible if you had a large amount of late hop additions that were supposed to be used for aroma and flavor but instead were accidentally used as bittering hops since the wort was able to maintain a high tempeture for a long period of time.

one of the brews i am talking about had an ounce of 6.5 aa cascades added at 1 minute ... so maybe i did get some bittering out of that addition? ... i wonder if an aroma hop could be added even after the brew was down to about 110f or so ??? ... i know i could just dry hop, but i havent really smelled a big difference unless i use a crap ton of hops while dry hopping .. in the boil i seem to get some good aroma with much less hops...

Hmm... I dont think that just an ounce of cascades at 1 minute will will make that big of a difference in the bitterness but I don't doubt that can slightly add to the bitterness of the beer.

Also, you might want to think about what type of bitterness that you are tasting. Is it a bitterness from the hops? Or is it an astringent bitterness?

Hmm... I dont think that just an ounce of cascades at 1 minute will will make that big of a difference in the bitterness but I don't doubt that can slightly add to the bitterness of the beer.

Also, you might want to think about what type of bitterness that you are tasting. Is it a bitterness from the hops? Or is it an astringent bitterness?

its a good bitterness .. so i am pretty sure its from the hops .. i have been reading thast the no chill folks adjust their hops by quite a bit .. so i do think i am getting some more from the hops than i intended ... dont get me wrong tho ... this amber i am talking about is one of my best brews yet ... it's just more bitter than i would think it should be for being 33 IBUs according to hopville .. taste more like about 10 or so more IBUs than that to me .. i really do enjoy the beer tho, so thats the good news i guess :rockin:

Latest posts

Back