Side of the road equipment score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
I get jealous of the Craigslist Score threads from time to time, so now it's my turn!

On the way home from work yesterday, I spotted a grill on the side of the road with a "Free!" sign on it. What caught my eye was that there was a propane tank still attached.

I felt weird about stopping and grabbing just the tank, so I stopped and knocked on the door to ask if they'd mind if I took just the tank. (I would have taken the whole thing if they'd wanted me to.) No answer, although I heard someone inside. They probably thought I was trying to sell them something. So I grabbed the tank and went on my (very) merry way.

No more fear of running out of propane mid-boil now that I have two tanks! And bonus: the tank's about a quarter full. :ban:

I had a similar score when I moved into our house in December. The previous owners left some crap in the back yard and among it was an old grill. The grill was beyond rescuing, but they left the tank on it. Grill to the dump and the tank to my garage. :D

I think I have 3-4 propane tanks. Acquired over the years. At any given time, only one stays full.

I have 3 tanks, get them all filled at the same time at the local UHaul, who will fill all 3 from dead empty for $45 (and I pay only for what i get)

If i have a tank that i want replaced, i do the $20 tank swap. My last tank, was free, used, and rusty, did the tank swap, took the plastic shrink wrap label off, and smiled.

Try calling your city recycle department. Some of the municipalities will let you take home propane tanks for free. They get them in their collection drives or at the transfer stations.

I scored a free tank the other day too! I was walking out of Kroger and there it was, just sitting on the curb!

Was there a tank swap thing nearby? You might have swiped someone's tank while they were inside getting someone to unlock the cage. LOL

Then again, someone might have taken it out of their trunk to put some groceries in and then were pissed when they got home. heheh

Back