Should I replace Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcdawg

Reaction score
I brewed my second BIAB batch this weekend. I ended up with 93% efficiency and overshot my OG by 16 points! (1.072 instead of 1.056). I had to add a gallon of water to my bucket to bring the OG down to 1.060.

That being said, there isn't much head space and a bunch of krausen got into the airlock when fermentation took off. I use Star San in the air lock.

Dumb question - is there any need to replace the airlock with clean Star San solution? Or, just let it go? It a saison with wyeast 3724 - I plan to leave it in primary for 4-5 weeks, fermenting at 85+ F.

Many thanks! :mug:

If it's still erupting, I would proably replace it with a blowoff tube for a couple days. If the volcanoe has subsided, then it's a good idea to clean out the airlock and replace with fresh solution.

JimRausch said:
If it's still erupting, I would proably replace it with a blowoff tube for a couple days. If the volcanoe has subsided, then it's a good idea to clean out the airlock and replace with fresh solution.

+1 on this.

Back