Should I leave the airlock off for a day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispy31

Reaction score
I've just brewed a RIS with a OG of 1.105, pitched 2 pallets of rehydrated Nottingham yeast on it. I have a 1" blow off tube to put in the carboy, but I started wondering if I were to leave it loosely covered with foil for a day, while the yeast are reproducing, would that be beneficial? I shook it to aerate because I don't have an o2 stone. For a beer this size that's probably not adequate aeration and I don't want it stalling, I'm hoping for a FG close to 1.023. I know wine makers often leave the primary open but I couldn't find anything on beer.

Anyone do this before or have an opinion, thoughts, warnings, or concerns? Lol

1211151313.jpg

2 pallets of yeast and you still expect reproduction?

Do not leave the primary open unless you live in a laboratory clean room.

It gives an opportunity for other organisms to get in there, why would you want to? I'd just use your blowoff and keep an eye on it, that thing should start ripping

Don't know what equipment you have, but I've had very good luck sanitizing 2 fermentors, racking to one then pouring back and forth between them 3 or 4 times.

Lol packets, not pallets, damn auto correct!

I went ahead and put the blow off tube in.

1211151455.jpg

It won't really benefit to leave the carboy open while the yeast are reproducing as not much oxygen will dissolve into the wort without agitation. Then again, it won't really hurt either because the yeast will soon multiply, swamping out any other organism, then begin producing so much CO2 that no other organisms can get in through the CO2 that is being expelled. Some breweries use open tanks for fermentation.

Back