Secondary and cold crashing in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mario_B

Reaction score
Is there any con to doing a secondary in a keg? Also, if I were to transfer from primary to keg, purge the O2, leave a couple pounds of CO2 head pressure and keep it at room temp for a week or 2 or 8, is that not the same thing as a secondary? Then when I put it in my keezer, it chills, is that not the same function of cold crashing? I just toss the first pint. Is my thinking off on any of this? :confused:

Is there any con to doing a secondary in a keg? Also, if I were to transfer from primary to keg, purge the O2, leave a couple pounds of CO2 head pressure and keep it at room temp for a week or 2 or 8, is that not the same thing as a secondary? Then when I put it in my keezer, it chills, is that not the same function of cold crashing? I just toss the first pint. Is my thinking off on any of this? :confused:

No con, yes it's the same, yes it's the same. You can even put some gelatin in before you cold crash and it should drop incredibly clear after the first pint.

I would consider that just plain kegging.

It's transfer to a secondary vessel and letting it sit, that's secondarying. Then taking that secondary and cold-crashing it...same thing. The only difference is not racking off the top, rather sucking up the junk on the bottom via the dip-tube.

Since it's in the keg and youre not transferring out of it, I would just consider it kegging.

Since it's in the keg and youre not transferring out of it, I would just consider it kegging.

It's a second stage, and accomplishes the same thing of letting the beer age and clear. You can call it kegging, but it is doing everything a secondary does, with one less step.

Do most people chill right after kegging? If I just let it sit at room temp with CO2 on it for a couple weeks it seems like that's secondary and kegging to me, just without carbonating. It just seems like I'd be adding one too many steps if I secondary in a carboy.

Mario_B said:
Do most people chill right after kegging? If I just let it sit at room temp with CO2 on it for a couple weeks it seems like that's secondary and kegging to me, just without carbonating. It just seems like I'd be adding one too many steps if I secondary in a carboy.

You can do either. If you can't chill it, you can leave it at room temp under pressure

Back