Second Year Cascades

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htc

Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to track the growth of my hops while possibly getting feedback and advice from those in the know.

Some background:
In their first year they did horribly, my dog ran through the bines when they were approx 6 inches tall, leaving only one to finish at about 24 inches in height. They were left to die in a gallon sized pot over the winter, but they made a surprise comeback and were found with 6-8 inches of growth about a week and a half ago.
At that time they were transplanted into a slightly bigger pot for this year, approx 12 inches in diameter and 6 inches of soil depth. Much of the soil from last year was removed, being densely packed and feeling alot like clay. The root mass was about 6 inches wide and maybe 4-5 inches in depth. The new growing medium is roughly 50:50 composted horse manure (reused from growing tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets last year) and regular M G potting soil.

7232-03-24-2012.jpg

7230-03-24-2012.jpg
7231-03-24-2012.jpg

7229-03-24-2012.jpg
7233-03-24-2012.jpg

Any ideas on what is causing the spotting shown in the last picture? I had a recent bout with aphids a few days ago. After two applications of soap spra, they're history. But the spots, nutrient issue or aphid or possible sun damage (accidentally sprayed during the day on the last application)?

Thanks for the link!
It was the biggest pot we had at the time. A bigger container is definitely in the future.

If you get over 85 at anytime in the next few months, then I wouldn't leave that pot on the hardscape. Place on a board or in the dirt. Also grab some fertilizer with some nitrogen and potassium (nitrogen)-(phosphorus)-(potassium). A high third number will strengthen that plant up. It looks nutrient deficient.

LOL, I just reread. I bet that is salt damage from the manure. 50/50 is big overkill if it was straight. Who knows.

It was old manure that had been used to grow tomatoes last year. Straight manure grew some monster 'maters. I was told that the pile I dug from had been aged several years. I don't believe it to be just manure btw, it has the consistency of sawdust with a few lumps throughout, probably from mucking out the stalls with a shovel rather than sifting out the waste with a fork.

I'll look up what the various nutrient deficiencies look like, I had considered it, but was waiting to hear someone else suggest it.

If it is salt damage, I'll give the soil a good flooding to rinse as much as I can away. Or will that work to release what is in the Miracle Grow?

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I've got some reading to do...

The hops took off! The largest bine grew 22" in 7 days, reaching a total height of 42"; the second grew 15" and the tiny third one is almost reaching its string.

I believe the spots from the last picture in the above post was due largely to aphid damage. The worst of the leaves were pruned off but a few of the lesser affected ones still remain. None of the new growth is showing any kind of discoloration or spotting. The aphids, however, moved next door to the morning glories growing around my porch.

7340-03-31-12.jpg
7341-03-31-12.jpg

7342-03-31-12.jpg
7343-03-31-12.jpg

Just noticed something. Not sure if that is the best spot for containers,(not that I know mine are in the ground) I would be worried about baking them, residual heat from the walkway and all. The looking good so far, enjoy watching em race up their lines.

The days here have been mild so far. Tomorrow is expected to reach the 80's though, They'll be moved off of the sidewalk before it gets too hot. Thanks for the advice.

I'd throw mulch on that, too. Help it not dry out in the heat.

Just checked out the roots on my dad's cascades and they span a huge area. I now have my doubts that hops in any normal container would ever reach their full potential.

I'm guessing you aren't putting them in a pot by choice, so I'm not sure this helps you, but just throwing it out there-- I'm sure the biggest container you can find is the best container for the job.

Well, I would have continued weekly posts, but tragedy struck a few days after those last pictures. We had our dog on his chain outside, and along with the porch railing, got the cable wrapped around the hop bines and their string... They went from 6 feet in height to round about 4-6 inches. They're making their come back, and from the previous 3 bines are now about 6 shoots or better. I'm going to pick the winners in a week or two and remove all but the tallest 3 or 4. Updates still to come.

Back