Scuba tank to inject air/oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codfishhead

Reaction score
I've searched up a lot of threads on this issue. Most ending up in debates for using the tanks. I do not want to fill my scuba tanks with CO2,

So my question is for those of you that use your scuba tanks to force air (which contains CO2) into your beer pre pitch. How are you accomplishing this?

I'm thinking I just need to rig a hose with a stone to my reg. I don't want to trash one of my regs to make this happen. I do have spares but use them for taking guest out scuba diving.

So before I go reinvent the wheel I was hoping someone has an easy plan to get forced air from a scuba reg into their beers.

Thx

Jay

Are you stuck on using scuba tank air? The line pressure to your second stage is usually 120-150psi pretty high for a stone. You might be able to reduce the pressure with an air compressor regulator, which costs more than a pump. It doesn't feel that high when breathing because of the way a regulator is setup to only let in a little air when you suck for air. My 2 micron stone bubbles like crazy at 5psi cant imagine 120psi. More expensive to fill or top off tanks in the long run. Aquarium pump or nebulizer pump (nebulizer works really good) will do the same thing, same air concentration unless you run nitrox in your scuba tanks. For high gravity beer I usually use oxygen from my oxy acetalene torch.

I did a lot of technical diving and had lots of 02 on hand. I had a reg with the 2nd stage removed, that I would stick in the wort and control with the valve. It worked fine.

Thx Carver

Worse case I could just stick my hand and reg in star Stan then the chilled wort and gas it for a min. But I'm going to make something to attached the hose directly to my reg.

Back