Sauerkraut Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kybrewing16

Reaction score
This is my first time making Sauerkraut and I think it was a success! I let the kraut ferment for two weeks and tasted it today and it's not bad. However, I do notice that it has a bit of a chlorine smell to it and was wondering if this is normal.

Everything was sterilized beforehand and I used normal salt.

Now, for my second question... can I add spices/herbs to it after its already fermented to help boost the flavor a bit? For my first batch, I wanted to try it plain just in case anything went wrong. But now that it's made I'd like to amp up the flavor and would love any suggestions!

Sauerkraut is best when fermented wild, without any starter. Therefore there is no need for sterilisation or sanitation. Just clean your glasses like you would do with everything that comes into contact with food, use 2% of the cabbage weight as untreated rock salt, throw together, massage till the juice really comes out, fill the jars, wait four weeks, done!

Never experienced chlorine smell, but also never tried one that early. Spices are best added directly when filling the jars, now it is too late.

I recommend horseradish, caraway seeds, Apple slices, juniper berries, or a mix of any of these.

Last edited:
You want to make sure you use salt that does not contain iodine as it can interfere with the fermentation. I usually use sea salt or kosher as I have it on hand for other uses.

When I was a kid, back in the mid 70's, my mom got a sauerkraut lesson from an old lady across the street, in her dirt floored basement. None of that massaging, no culture, just layered the shredded cabbage with kosher salt, put a plate on top with a rock to weigh it down, (I'm not sure the rock had even been washed!) and then tied a piece of cheese cloth over the top of the crock to keep bugs out. Came out really good. (I was there to do the shredding for mom.)

Sauerkraut is almost embarrassingly easy to make, as long as you don't skimp on the salt. Natural bacteria will do the rest.

I agree that two weeks is way too early to be trying it. A month or two is more like it.

Hm, maybe since I'm stuck here, I should make some myself.

Back