Roast 'em, Toast 'em, Smoke 'em If you Got 'em

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This ***** is smokey....

....but tasty.. Apple pellet smoked.
20180215_211000.jpg

This Apple pellet smoked beer is rather smokey, it's much smoother with time and carbonation.

- Or -

I'm getting used to the amount of smoke. I will say it's smokey from top to bottom. The smoke taste doesn't fade much.

I think a beach smoked beer is next with a lot of black malt. Possibly a stout with some left over maple smoked malt and a pound of home roasted black malt. Decisions, decisions..... Hmm.

Drinking two fisted tonight.

My rauchbier against Schlenkerla...

Funny thing, the vintage Miller High Life (my Rauchbier) pint is very similar to the Schlenkerla glass and bottles. It was unplanned, more of a coincidence.

View attachment 558916

Last edited:
Surprisingly, both beers are very similar. My rauchbier is spot on for the Marzen. By the way, Urbock is virtually like the Marzen with the exception of a 20% grain boost. Both Munich & Black Malts

20180219_192936.jpg

Last edited:
Surprisingly, both beers are very similar. My rauchbier is spot on for the Marzen. By the way, Urbock is virtually like the Marzen with the exception of a 20% grain boost. Both Munich & Black Malts

View attachment 558920
Damn you. Now I need to try these beers I will be licking up at least a marzen tomorrow

Damn you. Now I need to try these beers I will be licking up at least a marzen tomorrow
I know you're a foodie...

Make sure to have something smokey for dinner to go with these beers. A smoked ham is an easy option. If its lunch, a club BLT with hickory smoked bacon. I personally prefer ham or smoked pork chop. Smoked kielbasa is very good too. Add German potato salad to that.

Rauchbier goes good with anything grilled, smoked or stir fried and a little spicey. Country style BBQ, grilled Mexican, Asian hibachi or wok. Something that's been browned well.

I have a maple smoked brown ale that was made with maple-brown rauch malt, amber and pale malt. Then I added maple syrup to the lauter to dry out the beer. For that beer I made maple breakfast sausage, with a potato, onion and pepper medley. That was a pretty good combo. I made the medley spicy with black pepper. The maple sausage wasn't smoked, I just browned it well. Open baked at 325F in the oven for an hour. Uncovered then covered for the last 30 minutes.

If you like Mexican, try a puree of chipotles in adobo smeared over flank steak or milanesa, possible boneless skinless chicken or thin cut pork chops. Then broil or grill to perfection. Afterwards I like to chop them up and serve them on tacos with caramelized onions. It's freakishly amazing with this beer.

Last edited:
I know you're a foodie...

Make sure to have something smokey for dinner to go with these beers. A smoked ham is an easy option. If its lunch, a club BLT with hickory smoked bacon. I personally prefer ham or smoked pork chop. Smoked kielbasa is very good too. Add German potato salad to that.

Rauchbier goes good with anything grilled, smoked or stir fried and a little spicey. Country style BBQ, grilled Mexican, Asian hibachi or wok. Something that's been browned well.

I have a maple smoked brown ale that was made with maple-brown rauch malt, amber and pale malt. Then I added maple syrup to the lauter to dry out the beer. For that beer I made maple breakfast sausage, with a potato, onion and pepper medley. That was a pretty good combo. I made the medley spicy with black pepper. The maple sausage wasn't smoked, I just browned it well. Open baked at 325F in the oven for an hour. Uncovered then covered for the last 30 minutes.

If you like Mexican, try a puree of chipotles in adobo smeared over flank steak or milanesa, possible boneless skinless chicken or thin cut pork chops. Then broil or grill to perfection. Afterwards I like to chop them up and serve them on tacos with caramelized onions. It's freakishly amazing with this beer.
You have given me so many ideas................ Yes.

This is;

This is a bowl of black peppered bacon, a medley of potatoes, onions and peppers topped with a blend of Monterey Jack, and Asadero cheese.

The medley is fried in bacon drippings.

Drinking a Apple smoked rauchbier.

20180221_000156.jpg

Last edited:
Dinner Tonight;

Apple smoked rauchbier, Chipotle Turkey-Tit Medallions with stir fried Hickory Smoked Bacon, Onion, and Green Beans.

Cheers with Rauchbier!!!!

20180223_003905.jpg

I’ve got my starter spinning away in preparation of brewing a rauchbier this weekend. The plan is to use all munich malt and tettnanger hops to try and simulate a rauchbier Eiche. Schlenkerla’s website says the Eiche uses 100% smoked malt. Am I correct in assuming that y’all think that because of the differences in Shlenkerla’s process and home smoking, that 100% smoke malt will be too much? If so, where do y’all recommend that I start, 50% smoked?
Have you tasted your beer yet?
Checked on the smoked malt today. The smell has intensified over the past week and there is a certain sweet scent from the beech that is developing. The grain is dry and I plan on brewing this upcoming weekend. Getting starters prepped this week so there are no issues.

Also confirmed with my liquor store they will be getting a case of the Fastenbier.
How'd brew day go? I bet you liked stirring the smokey mash.

I just got around to brewing my beer yesterday. It is fermenting nicely at 48°. I took y’alls advice and used half of my home smoked malt and half of the regular malt. It smelled wonderful. If it tastes half as good as it smells, it will be awesome. I overshot my OG just a bit. I was aiming for 1.081, but actually hit 1.084. Can’t wait for this one to finish up.

All versions didn't know what to try.. They have the doppelbock, urbock, marzen and other 4 styles..
Try all of them! :D

They are pricey. You could get two of one beer just to get a good judge of the beer or get the top two, drinking the Marzen first. Like I said, have it with something smokey to eat. If you're just snacking, smoked sausage, or fresh smoked ham and cheese would be great.

The Urbock is the best, most liked by me and my friends. It's the Maltiest and smokeiest beer. A good drinker at 6.5%

Nearly all of their beers are smoked with beech. The only ones not smoked with beech is the Helles and the Doppelbock. The Helles is smokey from the plumbing alone. The Doppelbock is oak smoked.

The lent beer might be the freshest beer. I imagine the top three move though their inventory the most.

My favorites are in this order.

1) Urbock
2) Marzen
3) Doppelbock
4) Weizen
5) Lent or Fasten
6) Helles
7) Krausen - I haven't tried.

http://www.schlenkerla.de/rauchbier/sorten/sortene.html

Try all of them! :D

They are pricey. You could get two of one beer just to get a good judge of the beer or get the top two, drinking the Marzen first. Like I said, have it with something smokey to eat. If you're just snacking, smoked sausage, or fresh smoked ham and cheese would be great.

The Urbock is the best, most liked by me and my friends. It's the Maltiest and smokeiest beer. A good drinker at 6.5%

Nearly all of their beers are smoked with beech. The only ones not smoked with beech is the Helles and the Doppelbock. The Helles is smokey from the plumbing alone. The Doppelbock is oak smoked.

The lent beer might be the freshest beer. I imagine the top three move though their inventory the most.

My favorites are in this order.

1) Urbock
2) Marzen
3) Doppelbock
4) Weizen
5) Lent or Fasten
6) Helles
7) Krausen - I haven't tried.

http://www.schlenkerla.de/rauchbier/sorten/sortene.html
What do you think is the most palatable without having much smoked beer experience the doppelbock or helles?

I will make my way through them eventually [emoji16]

Have you tasted your beer yet?

How'd brew day go? I bet you liked stirring the smokey mash.

Actually didnt brew it yet. Wife came down with a virus and then I got it, its been a shi tty couple of weeks. Went down yesterday to check on the smoked malt after seeing your quote notification, very smoky. Its only gained intensity.

What do you think is the most palatable without having much smoked beer experience the doppelbock or helles?

I will make my way through them eventually [emoji16]
The Doppelbock is more malty and has a good oak taste. Whereas the Helles is without the malt backbone to go with the smoke.

Try the Doppelbock. The Helles is for a day of busy drinking since its a session. I would not want Helles to be your first exposure to Schlenkerla.

Actually didnt brew it yet. Wife came down with a virus and then I got it, its been a shi tty couple of weeks. Went down yesterday to check on the smoked malt after seeing your quote notification, very smoky. Its only gained intensity.
Hope you get to feeling better. Aging your malt mellows it, so it's a good thing for your planned beer.

Random thought of the day.......

I think I need to take my Miller light clone and make it with rauch and black malt.

So I sampled my rauchbier today. Holy smokes!!! I can’t wait until it’s done. This thing has attenuated to just over 6% so far. It should finish around 8.25 to 8.5%. Right now I’ve got it at 62° for a diacetyl rest. The smoke is just the perfect amount of smoke. It is balanced nicely by the malty back bone of the beer. I wish I could get my hands on an original Schlenkerla beer just to compare it to.

On a side note, do you keg your rauchbiers? I’m worried that if I keg it, the smoke may infuse the beer line and all my beers will end up tasting smoky. Should I be concerned about that?

So I sampled my rauchbier today. Holy smokes!!! I can’t wait until it’s done. This thing has attenuated to just over 6% so far. It should finish around 8.25 to 8.5%. Right now I’ve got it at 62° for a diacetyl rest. The smoke is just the perfect amount of smoke. It is balanced nicely by the malty back bone of the beer. I wish I could get my hands on an original Schlenkerla beer just to compare it to.

On a side note, do you keg your rauchbiers? I’m worried that if I keg it, the smoke may infuse the beer line and all my beers will end up tasting smoky. Should I be concerned about that?
That's awesome.

I keg all my beers. I also clean the lines with a beer line cleaner between kegs. If that was to happen all you'd need to do is soak the lines overnight with oxy clean to remove any residue. I have yet to have had the need to do that on my my kegerator.

I have party taps that get fouled up every now and then. It's mainly because I forget about them after I bring them home. It's not till the next time I plan to use them when I notice how dirty they are after sitting around with old beer in them. They get an oxy clean soak and they are as good as new.

Don't worry about smoke residue. Just use good sanitation between kegs and you'll be fine.

Apple cold smoking some maple breakfast sausage to go with my maple brown ale. Brew club is tomorrow. Need smoked meat to go with the beers.

Gonna do a ham shortly....

20180307_184157.jpg

Fermentation is complete on my Rauchbier Eiche. It fermenented down to 1.016 and 8.93% alcohol. The sample tasted glorious. As soon as my cream ale is done fermenting, I will be cold crashing, fining, and kegging this one. Any suggestions on how long I should lager this beer? Patience is not a strong suit of mine.

Fermentation is complete on my Rauchbier Eiche. It fermenented down to 1.016 and 8.93% alcohol. The sample tasted glorious. As soon as my cream ale is done fermenting, I will be cold crashing, fining, and kegging this one. Any suggestions on how long I should lager this beer? Patience is not a strong suit of mine.

I don't normally do lagers. What temp did you ferment at up to this point?

I'd say 30 days, then do a diacetyl rest for a week at your primary fermentation temps.

So, 30 days at a lagering temps followed by 7 days at room temp. Then carbonate.

Room temp to me is ale fermentation temps.

Ive been enjoying this thread, Im on page 2 at the moment youve given me some good idea's. I smoked 5lb of my custom Malt "pilserMalt" mesquite+History added it to my custom recipe needs more work but suprisely it tastes better and better tarty dry smokey favor complex quite smooth use all natural ingredients "limited supple and knowledge" would pair very well with red meat. Cheers

Ive been enjoying this thread, Im on page 2 at the moment youve given me some good idea's. I smoked 5lb of my custom Malt "pilserMalt" mesquite+History added it to my custom recipe needs more work but suprisely it tastes better and better tarty dry smokey favor complex quite smooth use all natural ingredients "limited supple and knowledge" would pair very well with red meat. Cheers
What beer style did you make were you used smoked malt?

Classic Rauchbier?

Drinking a pastrami pilsner. Made by Schmaltz Brewing in N.Y.

It's very horsey. The nose is horseradish and the finish is a little peppery and mustard like... Smoke very subtle.

It's weird.... It's tasty though. Might be able to drink two of these.

20180322_205422.jpg

If you're Catholic, try drinking this tomorrow.

You'd need to drink a lot to get the right amount of protein at 3 grams each

I think the average diet requires 100 grams of protein.

You'd need to drink 33 of these.

Good luck trying. [emoji12]

Where you at on this one?

Two questions;

1) You feeling better yet?

2) Did you ever brew your beer?

Where you at on this one?

I’m still lagering it. I have one empty keg right now. I’m trying to decide if I should keg this one or keep lagering it for a while and keg my helles bock that has been lagering since the middle of November. The last dopplebock I brewed, I lagered for 6 months. I wonder what the lagering process will do to the smoke.

I’m still lagering it. I have one empty keg right now. I’m trying to decide if I should keg this one or keep lagering it for a while and keg my helles bock that has been lagering since the middle of November. The last dopplebock I brewed, I lagered for 6 months. I wonder what the lagering process will do to the smoke.

I never lager in the traditional sense. That said, I think it will only make it more smooth, as expected with lagering. The smoke went through the whole process so I doubt it would diminish any by lagering longer.

It's not like whirlpooling or dry hopping where hop freshness is a relatively short thing.

My smoke beers book claims smoke helps preserve the beer. So with that thought I think you're good to keep doing what you've done so far.

Last edited:
Picked up some red wheat the other day to oak smoke.

Only managed to get 3 pounds, I'd of liked to do the normal five pounds....

Smoking pilsner and winter red wheat malt tonight for my next rauchbier.

Using Oak for the first time!!!!

Gonna make a Grodziske (Polish) or Gratzer (Prussian). It's a light beer heavily hopped with Saaz or Lublin.

Smokey Beotch
1.030 OG
1.006 FG
40 IBU
SRM 3

20180405_201743.jpg

20180405_201752.jpg

20180405_203709.jpg

Latest posts

Back