Roast 'em, Toast 'em, Smoke 'em If you Got 'em

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is some of the Munich that I smoked the other day. It’s dried and airing out right now. These were smoked for 2 hours at 150° with post oak wood. You can see a few black kernels sprinkled in between. Those were the ones closest to the fire box. It must have been a little hotter in that area of the smoker and they got roasted pretty good. It’s a pretty small percentage though, so hopefully they will just add a small amount of smokiness to the beer.

You are right about the smell changing. Right off the smoker, the grains only smelled roasted. After 2 days, they have a very nice smoky aroma. Every time I walk in the house, it smells like I’m smoking sausage. I can’t wait to use some of this in a beer.
View attachment 554266
The smokiness will be there for sure. The darker grains will give you a darker color in your beer like as if you used small amount of 40L, but it won't add a carmel taste, it'll be more of nutty toasted flavor.

I can "cold smoke" at 60-90f. I dont see any reason this wont work the same as a hotter smoke. Anyone have thoughts on this with malt? My plan is to get this smoked next weekend.

I can "cold smoke" at 60-90f. I dont see any reason this wont work the same as a hotter smoke. Anyone have thoughts on this with malt? My plan is to get this smoked next weekend.

You are correct. It will work. You wet it and dry it the same way. The only thing is you're not over 130F as it smokes. I used apple pellets, a tin can, and a torch for cold smoking. What do you plan to use?

BTW - My second smoked beer on this thread is a cold smoked beer with 58% rauch and the other 40% Munich and 3% black malt.

Bambergermeister

You are correct. It will work. You wet it and dry it the same way. The only thing is you're not over 130F as it smokes. I used apple pellets, a tin can, and a torch for cold smoking. What do you plan to use?

BTW - My second smoked beer on this thread is a cold smoked beer with 58% rauch and the other 40% Munich and 3% black malt.

Bambergermeister

I have a cabinet smoker (electric with temp control, total garbage, I dont use it) that I modified to use with a small hibachi. I made a hood with steel pipe that sits on the hibachi and funnels smoke into the cabinet. It only needs a few coals to produce billows of smoke, and it stays pretty cool, doubt if temps go above 80f.

I plan on using beech or oak, depending on what home depot has tomorrow. Beech is my preference for the marzen I have planned, but oak will be fine too. My father dropped off a 5 gallon pail of plum chunks earlier this week after I told him I was planning on smoking malt. He dropped a large plum tree in his back yard, it did produce good plums but the hail in May 17 shredded it (other trees were ok, lol wtf) They look great, but I want to stick with beech for this first run.

2efy.jpg

That bambergermeister looks great too. Black malt . . . mmm makes me want a smoked stout with some roasted barley and plum smoked malt . . . fruity with some roast and smoke.

I have a cabinet smoker (electric with temp control, total garbage, I dont use it) that I modified to use with a small hibachi. I made a hood with steel pipe that sits on the hibachi and funnels smoke into the cabinet. It only needs a few coals to produce billows of smoke, and it stays pretty cool, doubt if temps go above 80f.

I plan on using beech or oak, depending on what home depot has tomorrow. Beech is my preference for the marzen I have planned, but oak will be fine too. My father dropped off a 5 gallon pail of plum chunks earlier this week after I told him I was planning on smoking malt. He dropped a large plum tree in his back yard, it did produce good plums but the hail in May 17 shredded it (other trees were ok, lol wtf) They look great, but I want to stick with beech for this first run.

View attachment 554470

That bambergermeister looks great too. Black malt . . . mmm makes me want a smoked stout with some roasted barley and plum smoked malt . . . fruity with some roast and smoke.

You should post a picture of your rig.

I cold smoked food at 70F outside. The pellet steam only raised the temp about 20 degrees. 90 to 100 is the range I've gotten this fall when it was warm. So yeah today it's 40F. I'd doubt if I get over 55F cold smoking with pellets.

It's good you have source of plum. It's a unique fruit wood. It's rare and could be your special signature rauch. I'd not use it for at least a year, if not two. The stuff needs to totally dry out for smoking.

Black malt doesn't make my rauch beer stout or porter like taste wise. It's more like a black lager or dunkel. It's dark with some roast/toast flavor but it's not prominent. It partners well with the smoke flavor. I've made a straight up pale ale with 10% cherry weyermans while it was good, it seemed that it was missing something to make it really special. It needed a kilned malt flavor to pop; bready, bicuity, nutty, toasty, or roasted type malt. Had I used Munich as a base verses pale malt it would have been better.

A smoked porter or stout would be good too.

You should post a picture of your rig.

I cold smoked food at 70F outside. The pellet steam only raised the temp about 20 degrees. 90 to 100 is the range I've gotten this fall when it was warm. So yeah today it's 40F. I'd doubt if I get over 55F cold smoking with pellets.

It's good you have source of plum. It's a unique fruit wood. It's rare and could be your special signature rauch. I'd not use it for at least a year, if not two. The stuff needs to totally dry out for smoking.

Black malt doesn't make my rauch beer stout or porter like taste wise. It's more like a black lager or dunkel. It's dark with some roast/toast flavor but it's not prominent. It partners well with the smoke flavor. I've made a straight up pale ale with 10% cherry weyermans while it was good, it seemed that it was missing something to make it really special. It needed a kilned malt flavor to pop; bready, bicuity, nutty, toasty, or roasted type malt. Had I used Munich as a base verses pale malt it would have been better.

A smoked porter or stout would be good too.

Here is my rig:

2eme.png
2emf.png
2emg.png
2emh.png

I stick my temp probe through the smoke outlet stack. Works great.

I went to Lowes and HD, neither had oak or beech. Called ACE and they didnt even know what beech or oak smoking wood was . . . wtf. Amazon does . . . any surprise Amzn is shredding the comp?

I also have pear chunks, those are about a year old.

Here is my rig:

View attachment 554506 View attachment 554507 View attachment 554508 View attachment 554509

I stick my temp probe through the smoke outlet stack. Works great.

I went to Lowes and HD, neither had oak or beech. Called ACE and they didnt even know what beech or oak smoking wood was . . . wtf. Amazon does . . . any surprise Amzn is shredding the comp?

I also have pear chunks, those are about a year old.
Looks good.

As for wood chips, try Walmart, but go into the garden section, outside. Mine still has a good selection. My Home Depot still has it in the grill section.

Not sure if you have a Farm and Fleet in your neighborhood. They'd have it.

Menards is usually pretty good with grilling and smoking supplies.

Google "Traeger near me". Where ever they sell those, which use pellets, they prolly have chips too.

The pellets are easier than chips if you have a can and a torch. No soaking, pack a can and light the beotch.

Last edited:
Looks good.

As for wood chips, try Walmart, but go into the garden section, outside. Mine still has a good selection. My Home Depot still has it in the grill section.

Not sure if you have a Farm and Fleet in your neighborhood. They'd have it.

Menards is usually pretty good with grilling and smoking supplies.

Google "Traeger near me". Where ever they sell those, which use pellets, they prolly have chips too.

The pellets are easier than chips if you have a can and a torch. No soaking, pack a can and light the beotch.

Im in CO (and HI from time to time) so no menards or F&F. We have tractor supply. I lived in Ann Arbor for undergrad so Im familiar with save big $ at menards. Lol.

I just went with ordering beech chips from amazon. Prime too.

Thats ok, they will be here on Monday. In the mean time, smoked up some pork shoulder with some pear chunks. Its going to be good. I have a schlenkerla doppelbock chilling.
2esc.png
2esb.png

Last edited:
Im in CO (and HI from time to time) so no menards or F&F. We have tractor supply. I lived in Ann Arbor for undergrad so Im familiar with save big $ at menards. Lol.

I just went with ordering beech chips from amazon. Prime too.

Thats ok, they will be here on Monday. In the mean time, smoked up some pork shoulder with some pear chunks. Its going to be good. I have a schlenkerla doppelbock chilling. View attachment 554595 View attachment 554596

Sounds and looks good! One must drink rauchbier when smoking meats...

Do you have your grain baskets made yet?

If you recall, I made 12"x12"x2" baskets from 16"x16"squares of aluminum screen. Folded the ends and stapled the corners with a mini stapler. Simple to make and cheap. The 36"x80' roll cost me like $6.

What about a gallon of distilled water at the ready?

Last edited:
Sounds and looks good! One must drink rauchbier when smoking meats...

Do you have your grain baskets made yet?

If you recall, I made 12"x12"x2" baskets from 16"x16"squares of aluminum screen. Folded the ends and stapled the corners with a mini stapler. Simple to make and cheap. The 36"x80' roll cost me like $6.

What about a gallon of distilled water at the ready?

I dont have the baskets constructed yet, but Ill get to it sometime this week. I have DI H20 on hand. Only waiting on the beech wood to arrive.

I decided that I need a quart of wood soaking in my fridge at all times. I never know when I want to smoke some grain.

I'm trying to fill the pipeline so I always have freshly aged rauch malt.

Last edited:
That’s awesome. My rauch malt is still airing out. One more week to go. I’m shocked that the smokiness actually increased over time. When I first pulled it off of the smoker, in only smelled roasted. After a week, it’s incredibly smoky.

That’s awesome. My rauch malt is still airing out. One more week to go. I’m shocked that the smokiness actually increased over time. When I first pulled it off of the smoker, in only smelled roasted. After a week, it’s incredibly smoky.

That's great isn't it!!!

Who says aging for the short term isn't a benefit.

I like coming home when I've been gone awhile to smell the smokey grain in my place.

Here's a picture of my apple pellet, cold smoked, rauchbier (ale made with S-05). It's the "Herr Bambergermeister" that I posted a while back. It's supposed to be like the Schlenkerla Marzen.

Just kegged, tastes really smokey, while still warm and flat. Only to get better cold and carbed. While it's black to a dark red, it's very clear.

20180122_225751.jpg

Also kegged my maple brown ale made with maple syrup. No maple flavor, I detect some smoke, flavor and some roasted taste and finish sweetness. It's really super clean. Used S04.

Both beers are on gas now!!!

Final judgement is about 7 days away on both beers.

I will say the oven is making tonight's batch of beech smoke smell come out already.

Coming home from the brewery will be great tomorrow. Especially since the fridge is stocked with Fat Tire and Schlenkerla; Marzen, Urbock and Doppelbock.

Last edited:
Final recipe for my beech smoked oktoberfest, utilizing home smoke malts. Still waiting on the beech wood to arrive, building the mesh baskets tomorrow and not much else.

6 lb - German - Munich Dark (43.8%) - beech smoked
0.2 lb - German - Carafa II (1.5%)
5 lb - German - Vienna (36.5%)
0.5 lb - German - Melanoidin (3.6%)
2 lb - German - Dark Munich (14.6%)

Total smoke time will be around 3 hours. I plan on letting the smoked malt sit for two weeks in some paper bags. Again I want a really balanced rauchbier like the schlenkerla marzen, but maybe a bit more malt.

I am also looking to do a smoked weizen. I like schlenkerla weizen, I think only 10% of the grain bill would be home smoked malt, maybe less, to get the same level of smoke.

Final recipe for my beech smoked oktoberfest, utilizing home smoke malts. Still waiting on the beech wood to arrive, building the mesh baskets tomorrow and not much else.

6 lb - German - Munich Dark (43.8%) - beech smoked
0.2 lb - German - Carafa II (1.5%)
5 lb - German - Vienna (36.5%)
0.5 lb - German - Melanoidin (3.6%)
2 lb - German - Dark Munich (14.6%)

Total smoke time will be around 3 hours. I plan on letting the smoked malt sit for two weeks in some paper bags. Again I want a really balanced rauchbier like the schlenkerla marzen, but maybe a bit more malt.

I am also looking to do a smoked weizen. I like schlenkerla weizen, I think only 10% of the grain bill would be home smoked malt, maybe less, to get the same level of smoke.
The recipe looks good.

What yeast? I don't lager so I opted for a clean ale yeast like SO5.

The Weizen can be pretty simple, half Munich smoked, half wheat, with 2-4oz of black patent or midnight wheat. Using German hops at 60 and pitch Munich wheat yeast.

The yeast I am planning on is WLP820 Oktoberfest Marzen, but I would prefer to use an ale strain bc Im somewhat impatient. You use S05? Id try that out. Any strain of White Labs you'd recommend for this, maybe WLP029 Kolsch? If no, then Ill give S05 a shot.

I have a dunkel weizen recipe:

6 lb - German - Munich Dark (49.2%)
6 lb - German - Wheat Malt (49.2%)
3 oz - American - Midnight Wheat Malt (1.5%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.26

YEAST:
White Labs - Hefeweizen Ale Yeast WLP300

Pretty straightforward, Id probably just wind up smoking the wheat malt. Beech.

The yeast I am planning on is WLP820 Oktoberfest Marzen, but I would prefer to use an ale strain bc Im somewhat impatient. You use S05? Id try that out. Any strain of White Labs you'd recommend for this, maybe WLP029 Kolsch? If no, then Ill give S05 a shot.

I have a dunkel weizen recipe:

6 lb - German - Munich Dark (49.2%)
6 lb - German - Wheat Malt (49.2%)
3 oz - American - Midnight Wheat Malt (1.5%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.26

YEAST:
White Labs - Hefeweizen Ale Yeast WLP300

Pretty straightforward, Id probably just wind up smoking the wheat malt. Beech.

Kolsch would be good, if you wanted a liquid ale yeast.

I've been using dry yeast exclusively for 7 years. My LHBS doesn't carry liquid yeast. They are a liquor store that sells home brew supplies. They usually have a good selection of dry yeast stains.

I used to culture my own yeast from smack packs, keeping 90% of the pack, making a series starters, 25ml, 250ml, 2.5L, but after the last move and down sizing I have yet to find my erhlinmeyer flasks. I do have my stir plate and a dozen vials of wyeast strains, they mock me every time get a beer. I wonder to this day where they are at, think they might be under my nose. I have room full of boxes. I also have a semi length storage unit, but tried to keep my brewing gear to the front of the unit.

SO5 can be lager quality if you finish with Amylase Enzyme. It will make your beer 1.000. It requires one teaspoon of AE in a secondary at normal fermentation temps for two weeks. I normally have one week of primary fermentation, then drop a teaspoon into a sanitized carboy then rack the beer, and cap it with an air lock and wait two weeks. Generally, it's dry as a bone. It's the same effect of lagering without the refrigeration.

The AE helps convert the residual starches that didn't occur during mashing. It also makes for the cleanest beer you're ever gonna make with an ale yeast.

Last edited:
Kolsch would be good, if you wanted a liquid ale yeast.

I've been using dry yeast exclusively for 7 years. My LHBS doesn't carry liquid yeast. They are a liquor store that sells home brew supplies. They usually have a good selection of dry yeast stains.

I used to culture my own yeast from smack packs, keeping 90% of the pack, making a series starters, 25ml, 250ml, 2.5L, but after the last move and down sizing I have yet to find my erhlinmeyer flasks. I do have my stir plate and a dozen vials of wyeast strains, they mock me every time get a beer. I wonder to this day where they are at, think they might be under my nose. I have room full of boxes. I also have a semi length storage unit, but tried to keep my brewing gear to the front of the unit.

SO5 can be lager quality if you finish with Amylase Enzyme. It will make your beer 1.000. It requires one teaspoon of AE in a secondary at normal fermentation temps for two weeks. I normally have one week of primary fermentation, then drop a teaspoon into a sanitized carboy then rack the beer, and cap it with an air lock and wait two weeks. Generally, it's dry as a bone. It's the same effect of lagering without the refrigeration.

The AE helps convert the residual starches that didn't occur during mashing. It also makes for the cleanest beer you're ever gonna make with an ale yeast.

Interesting. If the amylase drops to 1.000 FG, what does that mean for a marzen that has a target FG of 1.018? Will it still have the maltiness or will it dry out? Never used amylase enzyme additive.

Picked up a few Schlenkerla Urbock at my liquor store. Noticed all Schlenkerla products are $5.99, including a full case worth of eiche doppelbock. Interesting. Rauchbier is sort of taking over my tastes.

Also, listened to the "Beer Styles" on my commute today (its usually 1.5-2hr/day), specifically the episode on rauchbier:

http://www.brewstyles.com/rauchbier/

Kind of a bunch of goofs and lots of cringe, but their conclusion is that the Schlenkerla Marzen and Urbok did not have much smoke flavor. They also did the tasting around a campfire, though my consuming a eiche around my operating smoker last weekend did not diminish the smoke flavor. Odd result on their part IMHO.

Interesting. If the amylase drops to 1.000 FG, what does that mean for a marzen that has a target FG of 1.018? Will it still have the maltiness or will it dry out? Never used amylase enzyme additive.
I have used this with 50/50; 2 row and 6 row on a 1.030 OG beer and other various light beers.

I think its going to drop it considerably, while it might not hit zero, I'd expect it to go at least 50%, 1.008. So the maltiness will take a hit for the sake of dryness.

I have never tried it on bigger beers, just proposed it as a lagering alternative. I would try it personally myself based on my experience if I wanted a lager dryness.

I use this on my Miller Lite Clone that uses SO5. Truth be told this is a Charlie Papazian Secret. It might have been a 1970-1980's secret for Miller prior to other yeast propigation. BTW - I have it posted in HBT.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/123937/

Source of reference is; "Home Brewer's Gold" by Charlie Papazian, 1997. Pg 322.

Last edited:
Also, listened to the "Beer Styles" on my commute today (its usually 1.5-2hr/day), specifically the episode on rauchbier:

Kind of a bunch of goofs and lots of cringe, but their conclusion is that the Schlenkerla Marzen and Urbok did not have much smoke flavor. They also did the tasting around a campfire, though my consuming a eiche around my operating smoker last weekend did not diminish the smoke flavor. Odd result on their part IMHO.
I think ones taste gets killed after an ounce or two. It numbs your palate, but it's still there, just not a face smacking smokiness.

I've been drinking my Bambergermeister and my Maple Brown, both are pretty smokey and still a bit flat.

The brown is subtle, however the Bambergermeister is almost too smokey, but it's young.

Might have to listen to that podcast on my drive home tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I listened to their podcast. They had a rather informative overview on the style. The original owner of the Schlenkerla was lame, one leg longer than the other that made him have a wobbling gait. That was missed, but it was also thought, that he was often intoxicated.

The guys thought about it'd be cool to have a fire while tasting smoked beers. Would be cool, is a monumental mistake in my opinion. How can you sense the taste and smell of smoke in a beer if you're fanning smoke from a fire away from yourself. That's no different than trying to taste test pasta sauces that have varying amounts of garlic in them as you're pan frying garlic and onions in oil.

They might have had an old beer based on where they bought it, the smoke flavor might have been diminished, how could one tell with all the smoke off of that fire? Especially if they're not familiar with the style.

One thing that was obvious was that none of them own a smoker, as they were ignorant about wood and smoking. I think the main guy, leading the discussion got it though as to the process for the making of smoked malt and its impact to the beer. He's appeared to have no experience with smoking meats either. I will say beech is not that common, as I never saw it in Iowa or in my current location in central Illinois. It's not really prevalent in Chicago either. Menards, Home Depot, and Walmart don't have beech.

I think the obvious use or reason for beech was missed. It's readily available in that area of Germany, Franconia, or Bamberg. So they use it to fire the kilns when malting.

They referenced Budweiser and it's use, but none of them knew why its used. I'm just as guilty so I read up on it. It's use has to come from the desire to increase yeast nucleation sites and to help clear the yeast. On the latter point, it's like a false bottom in the lager tank.

https://beerandbrewing.com/beechwood-aging/

Sam Caligione - Head brewer for Dogfishhead sites it's for this above reason too in ale aging. Reference "Extreme Brewing" Using wood for aging. The ale yeast can grow on it, and it also settles out on the floating wood chips. In theory it clears faster.

Last edited:
I have used this with 50/50; 2 row and 6 row on a 1.030 OG beer and other various light beers.

I think its going to drop it considerably, while it might not hit zero, I'd expect it to go at least 50%, 1.008. So the maltiness will take a hit for the sake of dryness.

I have never tried it on bigger beers, just proposed it as a lagering alternative. I would try it personally myself based on my experience if I wanted a lager dryness.

I use this on my Miller Lite Clone that uses SO5. Truth be told this is a Charlie Papazian Secret. It might have been a 1970-1980's secret for Miller prior to other yeast propigation. BTW - I have it posted in HBT.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/123937/

Source of reference is; "Home Brewer's Gold" by Charlie Papazian, 1997. Pg 322.

Hmm, Ive seen the amylase enzyme at my LHBS, but now there seems to be a reason to get some. I dunno if I would use it on the marzen as I do want the malt and 1.000 FG would be far too dry. Dunno. Appreciate the info and bought that book on amazon (used 4.99 and prime lol cant beat that).

I listened to their podcast. They had a rather informative overview on the style. The original owner of the Schlenkerla was lame, one leg longer than the other that made him have a wobbling gait. That was missed, but it was also thought, that he was often intoxicated.

The guys thought about it'd be cool to have a fire while tasting smoked beers. Would be cool, is a monumental mistake in my opinion. How can you sense the taste and smell of smoke in a beer if you're fanning smoke from a fire away from yourself. That's no different than trying to taste test pasta sauces that have varying amounts of garlic in them as you're pan frying garlic and onions in oil.

They might have had an old beer based on where they bought it, the smoke flavor might have been diminished, how could one tell with all the smoke off of that fire? Especially if they're not familiar with the style.

One thing that was obvious was that none of them own a smoker, as they were ignorant about wood and smoking. I think the main guy, leading the discussion got it though as to the process for the making of smoked malt and its impact to the beer. He's appeared to have no experience with smoking meats. I will say beech is not that common, as I never saw it in Iowa or in my location in central Illinois. It's not prevalent in Chicago either.

I think the obvious use or reason for beach was missed. It's readily available in that area of Germany, Franconia, or Bamberg. So they use it to fire the kilns when malting.

They referenced Budweiser and it's use, but none of them knew why its used. I'm just as guilty so I read up on it. It's use has to come from the desire to help clear the yeast. It's like a false bottom in the lager tank.

https://beerandbrewing.com/beechwood-aging/

Sam Caligione - Head brewer for Dogfishhead sites it's for this above reason too in ale aging. The yeast settles on the floating wood chips.

Even with the campfire, how is it possible they could not taste a sliver of the smoke in the Schlenkerla? I dont get it. They tasted smoke in the Stone beer, but not in the Schlenkerla marzen and urbock.

The style information was good, sort of told the difference between rauchbier 100% smoked malt and smoke beer with less than 100% smoked malt, but that the BJCP (which I lol @ often) allows for variance in the styles.

But the rest of the information was lacking, they didnt have any homebrew info and their confusion about beech was curious. I dont see them having much interest in smoke beers.

Hmm, Ive seen the amylase enzyme at my LHBS, but now there seems to be a reason to get some. I dunno if I would use it on the marzen as I do want the malt and 1.000 FG would be far too dry. Dunno. Appreciate the info and bought that book on amazon (used 4.99 and prime lol cant beat that).

Even with the campfire, how is it possible they could not taste a sliver of the smoke in the Schlenkerla? I dont get it. They tasted smoke in the Stone beer, but not in the Schlenkerla marzen and urbock.

The style information was good, sort of told the difference between rauchbier 100% smoked malt and smoke beer with less than 100% smoked malt, but that the BJCP (which I lol @ often) allows for variance in the styles.

But the rest of the information was lacking, they didnt have any homebrew info and their confusion about beech was curious. I dont see them having much interest in smoke beers.
You can use Amylase Enzyme in the mash too, just to improve your efficiency. Especially if you mash with a bunch of adjuncts.

Yeah, that was just a tasting for them. Nothing was inspirational for them from what I gathered. Since you mentioned it, I didn't hear any mention of homebrewing. It's just a some guys getting baptized on rauchbier. I think this wasn't their first beers of the evening. Maybe, 2-3 into it, something to do after dinner. It's seemed like a chore for the host to keep them on topic.

It's like a typical house party or home brew club meeting with an array of Schlenkerlas in front of us. I say that from experience. My friends were kinda like that when I brought them to a club meeting. They couldn't taste the oak in the Doppelbock, after trying the others; Helles, Weizen, Marzen, and the Urbock. They took two oz samples and still had trouble. Everybody seemed to like the urbock the best.

You got a good deal. That book has a bunch of great recipes. The hoegaarten recipe is a perfect clone.

Last edited:
The oak finally arrived. Lol @ amazon prime two day shipping, that nonsense took over a week.

I talked with my LHBS owner, he is cool with me purchasing grain, smoking it, then coming back to mill . . . I dont own a mill nor do I buy bulk grain so this is how its going to go.

@Schlenkerla have you drank the Lentbeer? I asked my liquor store to get it in when it is available.

I’ve got my starter spinning away in preparation of brewing a rauchbier this weekend. The plan is to use all munich malt and tettnanger hops to try and simulate a rauchbier Eiche. Schlenkerla’s website says the Eiche uses 100% smoked malt. Am I correct in assuming that y’all think that because of the differences in Shlenkerla’s process and home smoking, that 100% smoke malt will be too much? If so, where do y’all recommend that I start, 50% smoked?

I’ve got my starter spinning away in preparation of brewing a rauchbier this weekend. The plan is to use all munich malt and tettnanger hops to try and simulate a rauchbier Eiche. Schlenkerla’s website says the Eiche uses 100% smoked malt. Am I correct in assuming that y’all think that because of the differences in Shlenkerla’s process and home smoking, that 100% smoke malt will be too much? If so, where do y’all recommend that I start, 50% smoked?
I'd say for your first beer with your process to make it at 50%, since you don't know how pervasive the smoke is in your malt. You don't want to make something you can't drink.

My cold smoked apple pellet beer with 50% malt is nearly that way. I've aged the malt and the beer a good long time. I smoked it in October. The beer has been done before Xmas.

It's pretty smokey with a bit of harshness. I'm on the fence about it, if it had more smoke malt it would be too much. I think that's an aspect of cold pellet smoking. It's really smoked profusely. More so than wood chips. I'm thinking pellets while good with food is not a good idea with malt. At least how I did it. Smoking slowly and gradually is the way to do it. Possibly use less pellets, so it's less smoke over a shorter time.

I'd go 50% until you know how strong your malt is with smoke.

Late Edit: I've been pleased with my malt at 50% using wood chips smoking about two hours. Using apple and then maple. The Apple pellets could be suitable but I'm thinking it's not at the same rate as I'd use wood chips. This is the first beer with pellets cold smoked about two hours. The beer is flat so I've been tasting relatively flat beer without having a full glass. My judgement is it's much more smokey than my wood chip beers.

The maple was smoked for like four hours and at elevated temps and is not as strong as the pellet. Maple is supposedly harsher too. What I read after the fact it's suggested to be used as a blend. It's not too much for me.

50% smoked malt is cautionary approach.

Last edited:
The oak finally arrived. Lol @ amazon prime two day shipping, that nonsense took over a week.

I talked with my LHBS owner, he is cool with me purchasing grain, smoking it, then coming back to mill . . . I dont own a mill nor do I buy bulk grain so this is how its going to go.

@Schlenkerla have you drank the Lentbeer? I asked my liquor store to get it in when it is available.
Yes I had the lent beer it's very similar to the Weizen and Marzen. Same smoke flavor. It was some time ago that I bought it. I can't recall if was closer to one or the other by memory. I'd have to look it up on their website.

Last edited:
Smoked 3lbs munich dark and 3lbs of vienna with beech. Max temp was 92f. Used DI H20 @ 144ml/lb of grain, but for the cold smoke this is probably high. Smoked for 3.5 hrs and the grain was damp. Plenty of smoke though. So I brought the racks inside and let the downdraft dry it out overnight. Dry as a bone this AM and now in paper bags for 2weeks of aging in the basement.

2ke4.png
2ke5.png

With respect to the water volume used, I think I would halve the volume to 72ml/lb for cold smoking. At 90f there is substantial smoke being generated, though not the quantity of gases if the heat was higher. Hmm. Have to think about this one after seeing how this turns out.

Smoked 3lbs munich dark and 3lbs of vienna with beech. Max temp was 92f. Used DI H20 @ 144ml/lb of grain, but for the cold smoke this is probably high. Smoked for 3.5 hrs and the grain was damp. Plenty of smoke though. So I brought the racks inside and let the downdraft dry it out overnight. Dry as a bone this AM and now in paper bags for 2weeks of aging in the basement.

View attachment 556568 View attachment 556569

With respect to the water volume used, I think I would halve the volume to 72ml/lb for cold smoking. At 90f there is substantial smoke being generated, though not the quantity of gases if the heat was higher. Hmm. Have to think about this one after seeing how this turns out.

The water 3 cups per 5 lbs of grain was the "Smoked Beers" recommendation. Its barely enough to wet the grain in my opinion. I wet them for 15 minutes and flip the water-tight tub every 5 minutes. When I transfer the grain to the baskets there's no liquid left in the tub. The water is just a way for the smoke to stick to the grain. Low temps is good for minimal amounts undesirable elements coming in contact with your grain. Not everybody gets the same temp in their smoker, they don't have the same CFM flow, wood burn rate, volume of smoke and quality of smoke (free of resinous crap). That's kind of why I say it depends how much smoke your grains take up as to how much to add to your beer percentage-wise.

Glad you got it done without issue and that it dried quickly. If it didn't dry quickly then I'd think questioning the water would be advised. You could always add a low heat source. Like putting it in an oven with the light bulb on. My oven hits 145F with a 60 watt incandescence bulb. Your down draft was from forced air from your HVAC? Remember what your houses relative humidity is now, it will dry fast if its pretty dry. If its pretty humid maybe not so much. Its typically very dry in cold weather. Dryness of your grain can be quantified with weighing before and after smoking/drying.

Liked the pictures you posted!

:bravo:

The water 3 cups per 5 lbs of grain was the "Smoked Beers" recommendation. Its barely enough to wet the grain in my opinion. I wet them for 15 minutes and flip the water-tight tub every 5 minutes. When I transfer the grain to the baskets there's no liquid left in the tub. The water is just a way for the smoke to stick to the grain. Low temps is good for minimal amounts undesirable elements coming in contact with your grain. Not everybody gets the same temp in their smoker, they don't have the same CFM flow, wood burn rate, volume of smoke and quality of smoke (free of resinous crap). That's kind of why I say it depends how much smoke your grains take up as to how much to add to your beer percentage-wise.

Glad you got it done without issue and that it dried quickly. If it didn't dry quickly then I'd think questioning the water would be advised. You could always add a low heat source. Like putting it in an oven with the light bulb on. My oven hits 145F with a 60 watt incandescence bulb. Your down draft was from forced air from your HVAC? Remember what your houses relative humidity is now, it will dry fast if its pretty dry. If its pretty humid maybe not so much. Its typically very dry in cold weather. Dryness of your grain can be quantified with weighing before and after smoking/drying.

Liked the pictures you posted!

:bravo:

Ill tinker with the moisture level a bit in the future. In CO relative humidity trends towards dry, during the winter it is very dry. Summer in CO is not humid either, I lived in Michigan and St Louis, that is fookin humid.

So for sure, since this is my first go at brewing a rauchbier or even smoking malt, I will have to make adjustments . . . or maybe not and things are dialed in from the get go (doubt it).

The rear downdraft is a ventilation system for my rangetop. The design of the house would not permit installation of a hood in that location so the downdraft is required. It is a standalone system, just sucks away at the atmosphere, no heat. My oven has a proofing temp, but ive never used that feature and I dont know what temp it is. Ill have to look at that, but the procedure used yesterday worked.

Thanks for the tips knowledge etc!

Checked on the smoked malt today. The smell has intensified over the past week and there is a certain sweet scent from the beech that is developing. The grain is dry and I plan on brewing this upcoming weekend. Getting starters prepped this week so there are no issues.

Also confirmed with my liquor store they will be getting a case of the Fastenbier.

Latest posts

Back