RIMS users. Is there anything you wished you did differently?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_met

Reaction score
I'm just about to take the plunge and start my RIMS build. However, I was wondering if any RIMS users could share if there was anything they wished they could have done differently?

I'm just about to take the plunge and start my RIMS build. However, I was wondering if any RIMS users could share if there was anything they wished they could have done differently?
Without seeing your plan it is really difficult to provide information or advice.

So sorry.

P-J

As a RIMS user, I wish I would have saved the money, and went straight to HERMS.
Hind sight is 20/20.

I prefer my RIMS system over HERMS, and I tested both before building mine. I am still optimizing this setup though.

I really like my system, and will probably brew on it for a long time. Although, if I did it again I would make my system taller, so I would have to do less crouching and bending over to get to my gas/pump controls. Or, mount them differently for easier access.

I am planning some automation, so a redesign of the gas manifold and pumps is likely.

Here's mine for reference:

20130202_105557.jpg

The pump is recirculating my mash in that middle keggle, with heat applied by a burner underneath. You dont need an external rims element to make a rims.

Without seeing your plan it is really difficult to provide information or advice.

So sorry.

P-J

I left it open ended on purpose. I didn't want my plans to limit or guide what people had to say they would do differently.

The pump is recirculating my mash in that middle keggle, with heat applied by a burner underneath. You dont need an external rims element to make a rims.
Ah yes, direct fired RIMS... I tried that too.

I have the 2" RIMS tube from brewershardware with a 4500W(running on 120V)and I have no complaints with it. Though I am happy that I opted spend the extra money over building one myself and having the convenience of tri clover fittings. If I made one myself and used threaded fittings I would have regretted it in the long run because of the time involved to removing the thread tape and cleaning it after every use. Only my opinion.

image.jpg

I love my RIMS. Keeps amazing temps. My favorite part about it....the element and thermo probe are attached using tri clover fittings and they are removable. Advice, get a RIMS tube that can be disassembled. Or piece one together. There's plenty of places online to find 1.5" tri clover tees and some gaskets and clamps. It'll take more time, but you'll end up with nice product.

Most of my connections are tri clamp, but I have a few npt fittings in the rig. Tri clamp is much easier to take apart, clean, and reassemble. I'd change out the npt threads for tri clamp and add a sample valve off the rims tube like this from brewershardware.com
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396313747.520499.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back