RIMS - Tun return

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonsbeer

Reaction score
Howdy-

Mash temp seems to be something I having trouble maintaining and I thought as my next project I would convert my setup to RIMS.

There's tons of info here about these systems, but one thing I can't seem to find...

When the wort returns to the mash tun from the heating tube, do you run it through a sparge arm of some sort or do you just drop a tube in there and go?

Howdy-

Mash temp seems to be something I having trouble maintaining and I thought as my next project I would convert my setup to RIMS.

There's tons of info here about these systems, but one thing I can't seem to find...

When the wort returns to the mash tun from the heating tube, do you run it through a sparge arm of some sort or do you just drop a tube in there and go?

There's no one right way to do it. I use a simple "H" shaped return manifold for the return and also for the sparge water distribution. Many others use a ring or sparge arm and some simply use a hose with nothing special. What you do want to avoid is any kind of a return with small outlet holes as these can and probably will get plugged up easily. The bottom line is that it doesn't make a great deal of difference how you do it, so long as you avoid channeling or disturbing the grain bed.

what type of sparging are you doing? I'm building a 2 vessel RIMs system no sparge with continuous circulation. I'm going to use a "loc-line" from McMaster.com. I saw quite a few other people using them. I'm also going to use a 12v mash stirrer as well ... at some point.

I'm running a semi-automatic direct fired RIMS. I continuously circulate during the mash and I fly sparge. I do not use a mash stirrer.

I thought it was important to avoid aeration of hot wort, so use of a sparge arm should be avoided for a RIMS return (unless it is submerged in the wort at the top of the grain bed). Admittedly, all the water vapor in the tun will reduce the HSA problem, but it won't be 100% steam in there.
The "H" shaped return manifold like Catt22 is using is probably the best bet, IMO.

I tried a sparge ring for a few brews and found that some grain would clog a hole or two. I also noticed that the wort would cool down quicker with that method. Switched to a silicone hose lying on top of the mash - works better for me.

The loc line seems like a good solution as you can direct the flow exactly in the middle if you so desire. With the hose it sometimes decides to move around a bit.

I thought it was important to avoid aeration of hot wort, so use of a sparge arm should be avoided for a RIMS return (unless it is submerged in the wort at the top of the grain bed). Admittedly, all the water vapor in the tun will reduce the HSA problem, but it won't be 100% steam in there.
The "H" shaped return manifold like Catt22 is using is probably the best bet, IMO.

There are a lot of differing opinions on the HSA issue, although I tend to agree with you. Common sense tells me to avoid exposing the wort or finished beer to oxygen as much as possible. HSA can be a stealthy defect as the effects often do not show up immediately. It supposedly can shorten the shelf life of the finished beer, but that only becomes apparent if you don't drink the beer first, which I think most of us probably do.

Back