reusing yeast cake but changing recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftcoastbrewer

Reaction score
hey guys! i was planning on reusing my yeast at the bottom (WP001) of the carboy from my first batch of a hoppy red ale (5 gallon batch)...... i was told that i could go darker with the next batch but not to go lighter. i was thinking about making a honey blond ale.

does anyone see any inherent problems with doing this?

leftcoastbrewer said:
hey guys! i was planning on reusing my yeast at the bottom (WP001) of the carboy from my first batch of a hoppy red ale (5 gallon batch)...... i was told that i could go darker with the next batch but not to go lighter. i was thinking about making a honey blond ale.

does anyone see any inherent problems with doing this?

If you just pitch onto the dregs, you might pick up a little flavor from the red. You would probably be over pitching, too -- I'd use a quarter or a third of your cake to avoid both, probably.

Not at all. Just realize that the red may impart some darker color to the blonde and you will probably be over pitching a bit for the blonde. I've done exactly what you're proposing with good results.

There are some minor draw backs as I listed above, but no reason in my mind not to do it.

thanks for the responses....

i have read and saw a few videos on harvesting the yeast.... my main concern is messing with things and introducing infection. i just figured if i re-poured on top i could avoid possible contamination.....

i think i am going to give it a shot on thursday. going to brew the honey blonde while bottling the hoppy red... gotta a buddy that helps me so i hope i can juggle both at the same time

Back