replace the lid on pin lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
went to LHBS today to get another hydrometer and a replacement for my now broken thief.he had a bag with used oval lids with pressure relief valve:rockin: I bought 4 for $9.00 a piece. what will be the best way to test them? I have plenty of empty kegs. The guy told me if some don't work, just bring em back and he will exchange until I get a full set working. Should I just fill them with water, pressurize and check back in a day? Thx in advance.

Use keg lube, seal and pressurize. You will hear any obvious leaks. Spray bottle with soapy water discovers those you can't hear. You could waste CO2 waiting overnight if you don't have a good seal.

Oval Pin-lock lids and oval ball-lock lids are interchangeable. Pin-lock lids usually have enclosed pressure reliefs where ball locks have a pull ring on the pressure relief. When I've bought used lids: look for minimal dents from pounding on the lid to break the seal, and look at the feet for wear & and make sure the gray plastic feet are have no cracks.

Use keg lube, seal and pressurize. You will hear any obvious leaks. Spray bottle with soapy water discovers those you can't hear. You could waste CO2 waiting overnight if you don't have a good seal.

Starsan bubbles and is great for this. Spray some on and and no soap residue is a plus.

Oval Pin-lock lids and oval ball-lock lids are interchangeable. Pin-lock lids usually have enclosed pressure reliefs where ball locks have a pull ring on the pressure relief. When I've bought used lids: look for minimal dents from pounding on the lid to break the seal, and look at the feet for wear & and make sure the gray plastic feet are have no cracks.

Is this a FACT..? That most if not all OVAL lids are interchangeable on Ball or Pin lock cornys?
I have 4 pin locks, 3 gals cornys. (Great deal from adventures in homebrewing .com btw-)
and the only annoying thing is when the gas line is on and connected, the only way to release pressure or purge o2 is by removing the gas QD and depressing the poppet. That's a pain→ constantly having to undo the QD.
oh--- and don't rush and oops -hit the liquid line poppet !! What a mess for sure !! :eek:nestar:

So yeah, if the Ball lock lids work...I love to get a few.

Much easier on that poppet.... and my nail ! :drunk:

the one I bought just fit fine, I just end up buying new relieve valve just to be on the safe side..

Latest posts

Back