Repitching yeast to high gravity beer, should I oxygenate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
I have a big stout that I made, OG 1.150. I pitched a 6L starter which after 2 weeks brought it down to 1.070. I then planned on pitching 099 super high gravity yeast starter. Any thoughts on adding oxygen. I know this beer can go below 1.040 so there are fermentable sugars in there.

Any advise is appreciated.

Opening up the fermentation chamber will, in essence, be adding oxygen. If you pour the starter in and it disturbs the beer, more oxygen. A good few slight carboy shakes afterwards and you've introduce that oxygen into solution even more so.

In terms of pumping oxygen in, I wouldn't but I've never done it.

Only time I actually did pump oxygen into a stalled fermentation was a Doppelbock. OG was 1.078ish and it stopped at 1.020-something, close to 1.030. I'd already written off this batch as something for the drain-dragon. I pumed oxygen into it and added yeast, at about the 2.5 week mark.

Took a sample the day after and it tasted awful comparing to right before i added the oxygen. I would not do it again.

There was an article on HBT some time back about brewing big beers.

Oxygenating the wort both prior to pitching the yeast and 12-18 hours after pitching the yeast was advocated.

You are way past that point so adding O2 will really only do one thing well; oxygenate the beer. Don't do it.

Adding O2 now will only serve to oxidize the alcohols already present in the beer, and it will end up tasting like wet cardboard. Your best bet is to make a starter with the WLP099, and pitch it into the batch when the starter reaches high krausen.

If you have any 3rd or 4th gen yeast laying around, that might also be a good plan to make a starter from. It should have a higher alcohol tolerance than most anything you'll get fresh.

Back