Repitching Washed Yeast in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEWNCfarms

Reaction score
What do you all think about repitching washed yeast from the trub of the same beer that was racked to secondary?

My thinking on it is I’m getting rid of all the junk and then saving the yeast and bacteria to help Sour the beer faster, and leaving for food for brett once the yeast dies. Instead of leaving the good stuff behind from the racking.

IMO the best approach is to leave mixed sours in primary.

If I had to transfer, I would transfer the entire cake with the beer, unless it's into a solera.

Other people do things differently and that's fine too.

Cheers

IMO the best approach is to leave mixed sours in primary.

If I had to transfer, I would transfer the entire cake with the beer, unless it's into a solera.

Other people do things differently and that's fine too.

Cheers
My reasoning for racking is that way I can do a 6-7 gallon batch or so and ferment freely in the 30L speidel, and then transfer to the 6gal fermonster so that it’s completely filled with just beer and microbes, instead of wasting space leaving the trub.

That should work but it depends on the Lactic Acid Bacteria you are using. Also, the yeasts are playing a big role in cleaning up their mess after primary so I am always careful not to rack too early or I basically do not do a secondary for any clean beers I brew.
For sours, what you could do is transfer the beer from primary before the fermentation is completed. You should have enough healthy yeast to complete/clean some non desired ester. Then add your bugs in secondary. If there is Brett in your bugs they will clean up a lot of stuff.
My humble opinion

Latest posts

Back