Recommended PH for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landwaster

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a particular PH to shoot for? Just bottled last year's batch and the PH was 2.2, so it tasted tart, but I kind of liked it. We normally backsweeten a little anyway. And it should be acidic enough to not need to sulfite at bottling.

Just wondering if there is a particular PH to shoot for? Just bottled last year's batch and the PH was 2.2, so it tasted tart, but I kind of liked it. We normally backsweeten a little anyway. And it should be acidic enough to not need to sulfite at bottling.

I hope you mean 3.2, if it was 2.2 it would dissolve your teeth and give you ulcers. 3.2 is a bit low but at the bottom end of acceptable. 3.3 - 3.6 is ideal, though a lot of craft English and French cider is up around 3.8.

2.2 is correct if I can believe my PH meter. It tastes tangy but it doesn't feel like my teeth have dissolved... yet.

Back