Recipe calls for Cane Sugar - What is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymonkey

Reaction score
This may be the dumbest question in the history of HBT, but what is Cane Sugar? I googled it and found info on Cane/Beet sugar, and it seems just like plain old table sugar but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

The recipe in question is Old Speckled Hen from Clone Brews. I checked my sugar at home, and it doesn't say anywhere whether it's cane or beet sugar. The ingredient list was somewhat vague with the lone ingredient being "sugar" :drunk:

cane sugar is white table sugar you get at the store.

Thanks! That's what I thought. It's surprisingly difficult to find those simple words. Generally it's advised against using table sugar in beers, in my experience so I wanted to be certain. :mug:

cane sugar is white table sugar you get at the store.

Pretty much. Most of the table sugar on the east coast is beet sugar. They both work.

Generally it's advised against using table sugar in beers, in my experience so I wanted to be certain.

Using table sugar in beer is fine. No problems at all. Belgian brewers use it all the time in the 10-20% range. I just dries out the beer.

Good to know. I guess my thoughts on table sugar stem from having read that you shouldn't prime with it. Crossed signals. Either way, this is great news, I don't even have to go to the store ;)

Back