Reboozing a barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crayfish

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon rum barrel that I have already aged 2 beers in. Most of the spirit character is gone. Is it possible to add a bottle of another spirit, swish it around, and let it sit for a while, and then reuse? If so, should I just add boiled water beforehand to leach any remaining rum? Thanks

I have a 5 gallon rum barrel that I have already aged 2 beers in. Most of the spirit character is gone. Is it possible to add a bottle of another spirit, swish it around, and let it sit for a while, and then reuse? If so, should I just add boiled water beforehand to leach any remaining rum? Thanks

I have done this using Jack Daniels before. I used an old port barrel that was about 15 years old (12 liter). I soaked it in water to make sure the wood was swollen and didn't leak, then added sodium metabisulfite solution to the barrel for a few days, boiling water after that to rinse out everything, then added the whiskey. I let the whiskey sit in there for around a week, swishing it around everyday, before adding a 12% barleywine. It worked out great for me.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it would probably be A-OK but it's good to hear that someone else has done it

Back