Ready to bottle..? Haze...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VisaliaIPA

Reaction score
This is my first batch and I did a gravity check 2 days ago and it was 1.016 and today it was 1.016. Started out a 1.050, so I'm going to say that fermentation is over.

I'm going to say its ok to bottle but I did notice it's still a bit hazy with some suspended material. Should I bottle or let it stay in their fermenter longer to let it settle out?

Duh.....lol. It's been in there 15 days.

It's done fermenting, but if you want to let it sit another week in the primary, it will clear more. If you have the means and really want to clear it up, cold crash the primary 5-7 days at 34-40*F before bottling.

It's done fermenting, but if you want to let it sit another week in the primary, it will clear more. If you have the means and really want to clear it up, cold crash the primary 5-7 days at 34-40*F before bottling.

I have an extra fridge I could probably use, so here's the question. After cold crashing it for a week when I bottle do I just transfer into the bottling bucket then bottle or do I have to let it come up In temperature before bottling?

I have an extra fridge I could probably use, so here's the question. After cold crashing it for a week when I bottle do I just transfer into the bottling bucket then bottle or do I have to let it come up In temperature before bottling?

Just transfer to the bottling bucket and bottle it cold. One advantage you will see is that the cold crash will make the yeast cake more firm and less easily picked up in the siphon. You will still have plenty of yeast to carb the beer, but less trub in each bottle.

Use the same amount of priming sugar as you would if you had not cold crashed it.

Once you cold crash a batch, you'll want to do that with every batch.

You can bottle from crash. After bottling get the temp up to 70* or better for a couple weeks then cold condition/crash again for a few days to a couple weeks.

Back