Reading volume of glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootsNRoots

Reaction score
I have 5, 6, and 6.5 gallon glass carboys. The 6.5 gallon is smooth.

I know when the liquid gets to the "lip" or "hump" right before the glass starts to curve into the top is when they are at the rated volume, and of course they hold about .25 - .5 gallon more.

What about the lips or humps going down the side of the carboy, can they be used to determine volume? Something like, halfway between between the first lip and bottom is 1 gallon, halfway between the first and second lips is two gallons.

It's easy enough to find out, by measuring and marking, but my carboys are full. Just wondering if anyone knows if they are designed this way or not?

It would be handy if there was some sort of measurement scheme to the design, kind of like a solo cup. But I'm guessing if there was, then it would be well known and referred to all over this forum.

I have wondered this as well. Every time I think of it I am filling one with beer so I have not measured either. It seems to have some correlation but not quite right for gallons by my observations, not whole numbers anyway. Being that they are made in Italy and we are the only ones using SAE units, why would it? I'll try to remember to do some experimentation with liters.

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Marking your carboy

Go here, search marking your carboy, I have done t to all my carboys and love it super easy to

Back