re-using a bourbon barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdb

Reaction score
I just racked a Russian Imperial Stout out of a 5 gallon bourbon barrel into a corny to carb and serve... now i have a problem I should have foreseen. How should I clean/store the barrel so it can be used again?
I have it rinsed with water and empty. I'm tempted to let it air dry as keeping it wet will likely encourage nasty microbes to make a home in it.
I've also considered a final soak and rinse with bourbon before draining and drying as it might act as a sanitizer and inhibit growth of nasties.
Another alternative is to pour bourbon into the barrel and seal it with a bung...give it a shake very now and the to coat the insides and pour out the bourbon when it's time to age the next beer and reserve for the next storage period.
looking for suggestions.. and if anyone has the bona fide 'right way' to do it i'd be most interested

Latest posts

Back