Rauchbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm planning what to make for the upcoming fall season and i've never made a rauchbier. Has anyone here ever done so? I am trying to visual the process described here - link - and am having a hard time doing so. Any experiences shared would be welcomed.

We also had to learn about making smoked malt! Smoked malts are primarily used in Scottish Ales, Smoked Beers, Porters, Bamberger Beers and Rauch Bocks. Typically, a pale or lightly roasted malt is used (usually 5 – 6 lovibonds) to make smoked malts, and the preferred woods include Apple and Cherry wood. Low temperatures for extended periods of time produce the best results. The pale or lightly roasted malts are preferred due to their higher moisture content. Smoke sticks to moisture more than the grain itself, therefore presoaking the malt or using a spray bottle to spritz the malt is recommended. (Do not use water containing chlorine or chloramine) Smoked malts offer tones of pronounced smoke, earthy to fruity, slightly sweet to malty sweet.

An electric BBQ smoker modified with a screened frame to hold the malt is a great way to craft smoked malt. A Weber grill is a good option too. Temperatures over 200F will actually toast or kiln the malt. The addition of herbs such as rosemary or allspice will generate a lot of aromas that will impart onto the smoked malts. Stir malt every 30 minutes or so, this is also a good time to spritz the malt with a little water if they dry out. Malt is typically smoked for 1 to 4 hours, and then must be dried before storage. Allow smoked malt to waft in a brown paper bag for several weeks before use to allow the flavors to mellow out a bit.

I suppose many here have brewed a rauchbier. I have smoked malt from Wyermann ready for my first one, though I have made Piwo Grodziskie which uses oak smoked wheat, and ale yeast. What specifically do you want to discuss? Are you planning to smoke the malt yourself?

I suppose many here have brewed a rauchbier. I have smoked malt from Wyermann ready for my first one, though I have made Piwo Grodziskie which uses oak smoked wheat, and ale yeast. What specifically do you want to discuss? Are you planning to smoke the malt yourself?

Hi Hoppy - appreciate the response. I'm celiac and posting the GF forums, the link I shared contains a recipe on the gluten free malt website. So i think i have to smoke the malts on my own as I do not think anything like Wyermann exists for gluten folks.

I'm interested in making a piwo Grodziskie but can't get smoked wheat malt here at all.
Would I need to malt some wheat and then smoke it? or just smoke some wheat malt? If so any links or advice on how to do this, thanks.

I'm interested in making a piwo Grodziskie but can't get smoked wheat malt here at all.
Would I need to malt some wheat and then smoke it? or just smoke some wheat malt? If so any links or advice on how to do this, thanks.
You can smoke malted wheat unless you prefer to malt your own. Can you get oak?

From the mouth of a n00b blasphemer in a different Rauchbier thread on this forum I heard two awful words: "Liquid Smoke".
Maybe, in this gluten-free section his n00by suggestion wouldn't sound as awfully blasphemous?

Last edited:
I have brewed a few smoked beers over the years, using home smoked malt. You can use your standard smoker (electric, gas, wood), but the idea is to keep the malt below 140F preferably to not denature the enzymes, and that can be tricky with most smokers. I ended up getting a cold smoke attachment, and I only use it in the fall/winter when the temps are cooler where I live.

I built screen racks that attach into the main smoker box, and I use a layer of malt no more than 1 inch thick. I spray every now and then with distilled water, and I stir the grain gently.

Once the grain has been smoked, I let it air out for a week to let any off-flavors diminish.

If you use your own wood, do not use the bark as it has a tendency to give off-flavors/aromas. Also, use dry wood, not wet wood.

Hey everyone, I'm planning what to make for the upcoming fall season and i've never made a rauchbier. Has anyone here ever done so? I am trying to visual the process described here - link - and am having a hard time doing so. Any experiences shared would be welcomed.
I made one a few months ago with Beachwood Smoked Millet that Colorado Malt Co used to make. Only used at most 1lb and it was one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

I made one a few months ago with Beachwood Smoked Millet that Colorado Malt Co used to make. Only used at most 1lb and it was one of the best beers I have ever tasted.
More smoked malt, more bester. Take my word for it LOL. I posted a recipe earlier in this thread that is a winner.

Back