What I did for/with Mead today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked my waterless mead. Lost about a gallon to the sludge at the bottom.

Opened a pinot noir pyment. Yummy.

Attachments

• 20240412_201409.jpg
    20240412_201409.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Racked 3 gallons of my v2 of Marshmallow Bochet... not bad but I liked v1 better. V3 is in a barrel now.

Racked and stabilized~6.125 gallon Gewurztraminer pyment off of sediment into carboy. Now to let it sit and clear. If it isn't otherwise occupied, It might go into the 6 gallon stainless keg.

Checked the horchata inspired mead... It might have stopped a bit earlier than I wanted at 1.038. I'll be lightly swirling the yeast into suspension and hoping I might get another 8 points shaved off of that gravity over a couple weeks.

4 carboys have been cleaned up from the racking process and need to get put away... the spose and I both want the dining room back as a dining room and not the mead making overflow space.

One of my sons (he is 38) and some friends killed my last keg. A newly kegged (2 months) 5 gallon cran-blackberry session melomel this past weekend. Ordered more yeast and Fermaid-O on Wed, Arriving today. Will be putting together another 10 gallons or so today. Thinking of doing two 5 gallon batches a coffeemel / acerglyn and a pink lemonade. (Both session meads at roughly 9% to go into a couple kegs)

Organizing my Mead "closet" 419 (beer) bottles at 12.5 to 16% ABV in the cellar.

Dreaming of doing a chocolate desert bouchet 14 - 15%. Will need to age for a few years.
For those of you that have good mead at 2 to 4 months in 2 to 4 years they will be amazing.

Consider this. (Just my opinion)
- Melomels and Acerglyns kind of peak at 2 to 3 years. They dont degrade past that but dont get appreciably better either. Could be my palat juat isnt refined enough to notice.
- Traditionals, JOAM, and Bouchets tend to just keep getting better the longer you let them go. I have had some I seriously considered dumping or blending off at 6 months but at 5 years were great! Just opened an 8 year old traditional Bakers Honey at 13.5 ABV, oaked and ballanced with citric acid in secondary that wss just ok at 12 months but couldnt be happier with it now.

Dropped off some meads for the State homebrew contest and bottled up some for the County Fair home winemaking contest.

Cleaned a 6 gallon keg, racked gewurztraminer pyment into the keg to sit and age for a bit.

Racked my next xmas mead.

Racked my Horchata inspired mead.

Last edited:
Racked (3) one gallon carrot blossom traditional meads.

These started off as a single 3.75 gallon batch with yeast pitched and then divided into (3) 1.25 gallon batches. This is an experiment based on nutrients. Two of the batches got nutrients based on TOSNA 3.0 but one of these was front loaded with all the nutrients. The third gallon used the Travis Blount-Elliot's schedule as calculated via the MeadMakr web site.

The TOSNA batches have the same clarity while the other is cloudier and it had a less compacted lees sediment.

Taste tests will be done soon and I'll likely make this its own post at that time.

Last edited:
Back