Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kickheadonbeach.gif

(Not a good pic, just a cell phone snap, but I will try and get out for some better pics tomorrow)

Tallships in Bocas del Toro, Panama. There are 3 tallships in Bocas now. If you zoom in and pan around you can see all three. There is a 4th boat to the far left of frame that looks sorta like a tallship, but doesnt qualify ...its just a tourist boat.
20200123_181618.jpg

although I've been to Panama, been thru the canal (Suez too), TIL there's a place called "Bull's Mouths"

(Not a good pic, just a cell phone snap, but I will try and get out for some better pics tomorrow)

Tallships in Bocas del Toro, Panama. There are 3 tallships in Bocas now. If you zoom in and pan around you can see all three. There is a 4th boat to the far left of frame that looks sorta like a tallship, but doesnt qualify ...its just a tourist boat.View attachment 663342

although I've been to Panama, been thru the canal (Suez too), TIL there's a place called "Bull's Mouths"

Yep, and there is a second channel near here called "Boca del Drago". [emoji236] These two channels are on either side of Isla Colon. The main town here (Bocas del Toro) and the eastern most channel share the same name. Both channels are entrances from sea into the Bocas archipeligo.

Speaking of tallships and canals, here are a few pics of a Mexican tallship transiting locks in the Panama Canal. Taken a few years ago when I was crewing for friends who were transiting the canal.
PC%20Tallship%20Low%202014-07-03%2016.47.00.jpg
PC%20Tallship%20High%202014-07-03%2016.37.16.jpg
PC%20Mexico%20Tall%20Ship%202014-07-03%2013.54.11.jpg

Yep, and there is a second channel near here called "Boca del Drago". [emoji236] These two channels are on either side of Isla Colon. The main town here (Bocas del Toro) and the eastern most channel share the same name. Both channels are entrances from sea into the Bocas archipeligo.

I suspect these names evolved because of the surf that breaks near them...first entry was probably pretty intimidating! Bocas is unique in that it is the only place I know of in the Western Caribbean with consistent surfable breaks. Most other great surf spots are on the Pacific. As a result, Bocas is a surfing town...very young surfer/party crowd.

https://filthyfridaybocas.com/

my sister just sent this: Our Mom & Dad 60 years ago today

think there's still some of that cake left somewhere in Toledo

bakery was Hugh Jass Cakes

View attachment 663265

That cake would cost around a million dollars today. I hope there was a a lot of people at the wedding. A friends daughter is getting married in Georgia next month. I think he said it’s about 25 grand.

That cake would cost around a million dollars today. I hope there was a a lot of people at the wedding. A friends daughter is getting married in Georgia next month. I think he said it’s about 25 grand.

lots of German/Irish family on my Dad's side, Polish on Mom's

More tallships...

There have been up to 4 tallships at once in the anchorage here in Bocas del Toro, Panama this week. Ive been too busy working on my boat to get out and get some good pics, but here are some zoomed photos shot from shore.

The pictured ships are Sea Cloud II and Roald Amundsen.

Not very good images, but you can zoom in to see the detail (if TapaTalk doesnt compress them too much...which it did...oh well, the big white one is Sea Cloud II).

Related links:

https://www.seacloud.com/en/yachts/sea-cloud-ii/technical-data/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roald_Amundsen_(ship)

DSC05464.JPG
DSC05472.JPG

It’s Amazing what Fender has done with their Acoustasonic (tele & strat)line. Amazing quality & sound. Here’s my Tele Acoustasonic w/mahogany body with my Eric Johnson Thinline Strat & Jeff Beck Strat. Nothing like cranking up the amps & drinking your own beer.

70EE1818-3B65-43A7-84B2-5D4CE76FB157.jpeg
Any other guitar players out there?

It’s Amazing what Fender has done with their Acoustasonic (tele & strat)line. Amazing quality & sound. Here’s my Tele Acoustasonic w/mahogany body with my Eric Johnson Thinline Strat & Jeff Beck Strat. Nothing like cranking up the amps & drinking your own beer.

Any other guitar players out there?
Three Guitars.jpg

There are quite a few players on HBT. I'm a wannabee. Left to right: American Special Strat, Schecter C-1E/A (hollow body w/magnetic and piezo pickups), and Taylor 214CE.

Brew on :mug:

The Strat. The Schecter is in open G tuning, so gets used for Stones tunes. Need to play the acoustic more.

Brew on :mug:

One of my favorite rock ‘n’ roll quotes is from Keith Richards. Keith didn’t use the low E string much and often just left it off. He once told an interviewer “Playing the guitar is simple. All you need are five strings, three fingers, and one a$$hole”.

Yes and there is a thread, my degree was essentially in jazz guitar playing. Those are some beautiful looking fenders. I had a 77 tele, loved it. Traded it for a gibson es 135.

View attachment 663691 Any other guitar players out there?

First up... my '97 California Strat. Californias were in between the Mexi & the Americans, made from American parts, assembled & painted in Mexico. heavily modded. "Quieting the Beast" rewired & shielding added. then a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck Jr (single coil-sized humbucker) in the bridge, original Tex Mex pickup in the middle and a Seymour Duncan Lil '59 in the neck. shown here is how it looks now (albeit MUCH less dirty) with a new pickguard (original was 3-ply white-black-white)

1021.jpg

my 3/4 stack. JCM2000 100 watt & JCM900 100/50 watt (it goes to 20!), plus a 2x12 & a 4x12

I know... it's only rock & roll, but I like it

1026.jpg

the current "electronics" is The Toneshaper replaces nearly ALL the electronics inside, except for the pickups. the dipswitches are for different configurations (set the tone & volume to control whichever pickups you want), other dipswitches take care of treble rolloff when the volume is turned down. then there's the resistor switches. different years' Strat models used different resistors, the switches allows you to choose which resistance you want to use

895.jpg

custom pickguard, hand-painted by a friend's wife

volume and tone pots were replaced with push/pull switches to tap the coils & found some metal speed knobs which went better with the painted pickguard & the rest of the hardware

1028.jpg

my beautiful '79 Les Paul Standard, very rare natural finish, with no burst. stolen twice, only recovered once

836.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back