Ramping up Wyeast 1968 temp advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, I just brewed a brown ale yesterday (OG 1.060) and currently I have it in my ferm chamber at 66°.

I've heard this strain like a D-rest. How should I go about doing it? Right now it's bubbling away nicely, should I raise the temp 1 degree every two days until it gets to 69 degrees or is that too hot.

Thanks in advance.

I use 1968 almost exclusively. I pitch it and hold it anywhere from 62 to 66 and hold it there for three days. On the third day, I let it warm up on its own to 69. I hold it there for a couple of days for the D rest. I then drop it slowly back to 66 at a degree a day and leave it there for about a week. Then I cold crash.

That schedule gives me a bit of the fruit character from the English yeast, but it stays pretty clean. Some will tell you that you need to shake to keep the yeast in suspension, but I always get good attenuation without disturbing it. I use this for my bitters, porters and stouts and I love it.

Ok, thanks for the info Cadi. I think I'll start ramping up on day 2.5

Beer smith gave my recipe an FG of 1.020 which I thought seemed a little high so I mashed at 150 to hopefully get some more fermentability. It does have 4 lbs of dme which may contribute to the high FG.

Back