Raising temperature (slightly) during cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonCoastal

Reaction score
I brewed a big Belgian Dark Strong ale in late November. WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast used. Racked to secondary and then cold crashed the secondary to 50F December 12th. I want to keep it in the secondary until around Feb 12th.

Question is if I raise the temp to ~ 65F for a 2-3 weeks, will the F things up?

REASON, is in a few days I will be brewing another beer and I want to ferment that style at 65. And although I only have one fermentor chamber it can hold two carboys.

My OTHER option is to put the Belgian into my beer fridge that has room, but would lower the temps in low 40's.....
I KNOW, get another fermentation chamber... But for now, what would the best alternative be?

Belgian beers typically are aged warm and not cold conditioned. So no, you won't F... things up, quite the contrary.

50°F is not a "cold crash". At best it's a "slight chill" ;) Depending on the strain it might not even put the yeast to sleep.
Considering the style I can't think of anything untoward about a couple of weeks sealed up at room temp (wouldn't want to do that with an neipa)..

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back