Quick question regarding Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumnart

Reaction score
I just activated the wyeast package and I am planning on doing a yeast starter. I am going to put it on a stir plate for approx 24 hours, then on to the fridge for 2 days. At that point i'll decant and start to warm the yeast. The question is when I start my boil can I use some of the unhopped wort to step up my starter? It will be a 60 min boil and then probably another 30-60 mins to cool.

I don't really see any point in stepping up your starter an hour before you pitch. Depending on the yeast strain, it takes 12-24 hours for the yeast to cycle through the reproductive and growth phase. You just won't see enough yeast sex and reproduction in an hour or so to go through the trouble.

You'd need to boil the wort for at least 15-20 minutes before you siphon it off in order to ensure that it is sanitized. Then chill it (my two quart starter this morning took 15 minutes to chill in an ice bath). So you'd have an hour for that step up. It would just start to wake up the yeast, but you wouldn't see any growth.

Back