Question About Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbeCox

Reaction score
Hi everybody! Long time no posting.

I just have a quick question about lagering and what it does to the final product of beer. I presently do not have the equipment to properly lager a beer, but as I've been reading the various "How To" books, I find myself wondering, what happens if I brew a lager beer but then ferment it at an ale temperature? Does it turn out something like the "California Common" that I see mentioned but never really explained? Or does it just make a bogus beer that nobody wants to drink?

Thanks for the input, just something that I've been musing on and wondered if anyone had any further information!

The yeast used for a Cali Common is designed to be brewed at the lower temps of an ale yeast.

True lager yeasts are not to be fermented that way if fermented too high will produce a myriad of undesirable off flavors that don't go away or condition out.

They are meant to be fermented below 60 and are bottom fermenting yeast. They typically work slower, require a diacetyl rest and then a longer lathering period to produce the typical crystal clear clean tasting beer.

You can try using WY 2112 for a Cali common and ferment around 62, otherwise stick to brewing ales until you can control cold fermentation a nod lagering.

lager yeast can be used at ale temps, its what a steam beer is. they just aren't as clean as a lager, so kinda pointless.

Certain lager yeasts (like Wyeast 2124) can be used as high as the low-mid 60's to produce a steam beer. I've tasted some made with that yeast controlled at that temp and it was quite good. That same yeast can be used in the upper 40's to produce a true lager like a maibock or a dunkel.

Until you're set up to consistently hold ferment temps below 52*F and then follow that with 6-8 weeks at 35*F or so, stick with ale yeast.

Thanks for the responses!

I figured that I would have to wait until I have the proper equipment to properly lager, looks like I'll be sticking to Ales for a bit! (Not that that's a problem, I like ales in the summer!)

Back