Question about fermenting in a bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
So I used a bucket for the first time ever for a beer I brewed two weeks ago. Today I went to check on it and the top had popped off. I had a blowoff tube on it so I’m not really sure what happened; but, I doubt it was pressure build up.

Regardless, I have absolutely no idea how long it’s been like this. I’m hoping the residual CO2 kept the beer fairly safe; but, I’ve never run into this situation before. Just curious what y’all think the result might be? I’m inclined to carry on, keg it, and see what happens.

Thanks in advance.

Kinda what I’m thinking. Wasn’t planning on dumping it, by any means. Just curious about what to expect.

Still have to back sweeten it with honey so I’m hoping that might cover any off flavors that might arise.

Regardless, it’s going in a keg and getting put on tap.

The result will be beer. Don't worry, keep going and enjoy via first hand experience how over dramatized the whole oxygen topic is in the online world.

^ This. To some extent. :)

I don't agree completely that the O2 thing is over-dramatized, but it's not likely to be a huge issue unless the top popped completely off the bucket.

I'm going to guess there are no infection issues, but if it was open to the air for a few days, you're going to have oxidation. Some people can perceive that quite readily, others not so much. Worrying about it won't change anything, so...don't. :)

But it will be beer, so keg it and enjoy it!

lids don't just pop off. You could have a clog in the blowoff tube somewhere and built up some pressure.

I've never kept a beer in a primary longer than 2 weeks unless I had no room to keg it. Or it was a lager

What kind of beer is it? You could most likely keg it know

Backsweeten with honey? The yeast will eat that, also don't expect much flavour from the honey, unless you use a lot or a very strong tasting variety.

I’m cold crashing before I do it. I’m sure there will be flavor from the honey doing it this way - done it several times in the past.

lids don't just pop off. You could have a clog in the blowoff tube somewhere and built up some pressure.

I've never kept a beer in a primary longer than 2 weeks unless I had no room to keg it. Or it was a lager

What kind of beer is it? You could most likely keg it know

No clogs anywhere so I honestly have no clue what happened but I know it wasn’t pressure.

It’s a “double honey wheat” and I’m going to cold crash, back sweeten, and keg.

Again, I’m not necessarily looking for advice on what to do. As indicated, im going to keg it regardless, im just wondering what y’all think about that situation and if it’ll have a significant impact on the finished product.

IMO, it sounds like you forgot to put the top on all the way.

You’re probably right. Although, I remember thinking it was on well enough and it was bubbling in the blowoff tube/jug of starsan for a few days then mysteriously stopped (should have been a sign). I just assumed it was slowing down.

Regardless, I’ll make damn sure it’s clicked down really well from now on.

I’m cold crashing before I do it. I’m sure there will be flavor from the honey doing it this way - done it several times in the past.

I am assuming you keg and refrigerate immediately after fermentation. By looking at your Sig Line it says "on tap" - plus you state you're kegging.
I bottle, so your use of "backsweeten" would make sense. If the yeast is still active in the keg ... then again, the temp should be low enough to slow the yeasties down quite a bit ...

Last edited:
I am assuming you keg and refrigerate immediately after fermentation. By looking at your Sig Line it says "on tap" - plus you state you're kegging.
I bottle, so your use of "backsweeten" would make sense. If the yeast is still active in the keg ... then again, the temp should be low enough to slow the yeasties down quite a bit ...

And we don’t drink slow around here!

I had that happen once, but with an airlock. I think it got clogged because that lid blew completely off. It turned out fine.

I think if it happens in the very active phase of fermentation, the yeasts are expelling enough co2 to keep a lot of oxygen from getting in. I didn’t have any off-flavors or infections.

Latest posts

Back