Pumpkin ale mash temp fiasco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
So apparently 60 oz of pumpkin and a pound of rice hulls can really drag down your mash temp I was shooting for 152 but ended up at 143. After about 15 minutes I was able to add in boiling water and get it north of 150. plan on mashing for 90... think I salvaged it?

What strike temp were you aiming for when you missed it that bad? Either way you will make beer. How did your OG turn out?

How well did you mix up the mash? I had no problems with temperature with 1 lb of rice hulls and 90 oz of pumpkin in my Igloo cooler mashtun. What kind of mashtun do you have?

I always rinse my rice hulls with hot water right before adding to tun. They are pretty dirty and this allows them to not affect the temp as much.

Last year I had similar problem with the pumpkin in the mash (no nearly as low a temp though). Based on Gordon Strong's article in this months BYO I tried something new on my pumpkin beer and it worked great.

Basically you put the pumpkin in a grain bag and add it once you start your sparge. Then can move it over to the boil as well to really get additional flavor/ color in there. An no worries about mash temp and don't need the rice hulls.

The mash was mixed up pretty well and the rice hulls were pre-rinsed with moderately warm water. I also forgot to check the adjust temp for equipment in beersmith so this inadvertently lowered my temp by 3-4 degrees. Guess ill just ride it out.

Here's what I do that works so well I've not yet had a problem hitting my temps for my Pumpkin ales. Sometime before my pumpkin is done baking I rinse off my rice hulls in my mash tun with the hottest water my faucet provides (about 130F) two times. On the third fill (which will be the third rinse) I add in boiling water until the water and rice hulls are at my mash temp (ie. my mash tun preheat temp) and let it sit sealed. I pull the pumpkin out of the oven and stir it up to help cool it a little more then re-spread it out in the pan. I check the pumpkin temp occasionally and once it's right about my mash temp I drain the water from the mash tun and scoop in the pumpkin, then add the strike water, then my grains.

I always keep a tea kettle with boiling water handy in case I need to adjust temp up but so far I've never needed it doing it this way. You can rinse the rice hulls less times if you want, I just prefer to do three rinses since they clearly aren't too clean.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back