Propane Burner + Wood Shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abndrew82

Reaction score
The thought makes me wary, but figured why not post and get others opinions. I recently moved to a place that has a nice wood shed that I have setup all my brew equipment in.

Preparing to start doing All Grain now that I have more space.

My question comes to, I am thinking not a wise idea and worries me using the Propane burner inside the wood shed, even with door and window open not as worried about the fumes but chance of fire.

Thought maybe a shielding or some sort around the burner may make feasible but wanted to get some other opinions.

Would it be wiser to just do the boils and such outside and then other stuff inside, don't currently have any sort of brew stand, but inside the shed is nice shelving that I could use.

Or I can just build some sort of stand to use outside and do pretty much all of it outside the shed and just keep supplies and such inside.

Thanks

I highly recommend installing ventilation and fireproof wall covering in the burner area. I like that cement board they sell at home depot.

If it were me, I'd tell myself that people brewed in wood buildings for at least 2,000 years using open fires, so why shouldn't I?" and then I would tell myself I was going to buy a fire extinguisher just to be safe and never do it, just like I keep not buying the CO detector and trusting that cracking my garage door and turning on the vent fan in the winter is good enough.

Edit: I also would set up the burner away from flamables, but that goes for any brewing, right?

Be very concerned about the heat from the burner hitting the wood floor. Depending on the height of your burner, that will be your greatest risk.

If you have a little extra space build a small patio outside the shed.

Fireproof wall covering, some kind of stone steppers or the like sunder the burner, a CO monitor, proper ventilation, and a fire extinguisher. Good luck.

When you say "wood shed" do you mean it's just a shed made of wood or is this a shed where you store wood? If you store wood in there I wouldn't brew in there. If it's a big enough shed I agree with Hello's recommendations.

There's probably not much risk of setting the floor on fire. I use mine on a wooden deck alot and the decking underneath it is maybe only slightly warm to the touch. Though it wouldn't hurt if you were putting something on the walls to put some extra underneath as well.

It would be even safer if you built a small patio with a lean-to roof just outside the door. Might make it more comfortable to brew during summer too.

Back