Problem with ball lock non removable poppet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktrain

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,

Apologies if this type of problem has been answered but i had no luck using the search.

I have a 3 gallon ball lock corny keg with non-removable posts/poppets. I tried to tap it last night after it was carbed up and had no beer coming out of my beer line. I noticed at the top of the poppet where the valve gets pressed down has a bit of the black washer ring sticking out of the top.

Am I hosed? Should I degas and try to fix it and recarb? Not sure what to do.
Link to the keg I bought: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/3-gallon-keg-system-new-keg.html

Thanks all!
Chris

Are you sure you can't remove the posts?
Looks like regular posts with a hex bottom to put a wrench or socket on. 9/16" perhaps?

If you can't figure it out, contact NB.

Can you depress the poppet? (careful of the beer shower). If so maybe your disconnect just wasn't on all the way. Or you may need to release the pressure on the keg and remove the post to see if the poppet just isn't seated properly or needs to be replaced. Some of those newer kegs have poppets that are very difficult to remove unless you get something up under the feet and bend them. I have two kegs like that, so far I have been cleaning in place and haven't had to change out the poppets yet. You won't have to recarb the beer just from releasing the pressure once.

If you read the Norther Brewer add it clearly states the posts are non removable.

Sounds like something is clogging the poppet. Did you dry hop by any chance? Excess hop material will clog even the normal popits. If you have threaded disconnects, you could try swapping the CO2 line to the liquid post and gently clear it that way. If it is hop residue then the fix will be a PIA but doable.

A non removable post is definitely a bit odd, but in the long run shouldn't be too bad, poppets are almost indestructible.

If you read the Norther Brewer add it clearly states the posts are non removable.

Sounds like something is clogging the poppet. Did you dry hop by any chance? Excess hop material will clog even the normal popits. If you have threaded disconnects, you could try swapping the CO2 line to the liquid post and gently clear it that way. If it is hop residue then the fix will be a PIA but doable.

A non removable post is definitely a bit odd, but in the long run shouldn't be too bad, poppets are almost indestructible.

^ good advice!

I didn't notice that line earlier, but looked at the picture and the always glorious "reviews."
So that $180 keg depends on a small rubber gasket in a non-replaceable $3 poppet? :eek:

I did dry hop btw

Well then more than likely you have hop sediment clogging the poppet. This posses a particular challenge since you can't remove the dip tube. Running CO2 through the liquid line will clear out the debris, but it will just re-clog as soon as you use it again. Been there and have the tee-shirt. 2 options - 1) clear the dip tube and place a hop bag over the end of the tube or they actually make SS screen filters to place over the dip tube. 2) strain the beer through a mesh filter or bag into a secondary keg. Unfortunately, the beer never really recovers from the transfer so your better off trying to bottle it.

My batch that I dry hopped in the secondary caused the same problem when I kegged it. I was really surprised to see how much excess hops made it into the keg and I thought I was being careful. There is an option 3 that I have never tried that may work. It can be a PIA but... reverse the gas and liquid lines and invert the keg. Let the keg settle for 4-5 days. There should be enough dead space in the new bottom (real top) for the hop sediment to settle and let you draw out the beer upside down but normally.

LMK and good luck.

Well then more than likely you have hop sediment clogging the poppet. This posses a particular challenge since you can't remove the dip tube.

Why can't the OP remove the dip tube? I agree this is a PITA when it happens. I had luck only once blowing CO2 down the liquid line and getting it to stay clear. Other times I have had to remove the dip tube, clean and replace, run off some hop gunk until it clogs again, then repeat a couple times. A longer term solution is a screen as mentioned or trimming the dip tubes a bit.

No it says "Note that the poppets in these kegs are not removable or replaceable and should be cleaned in place." You can remove the posts.

Why can't the OP remove the dip tube? I agree this is a PITA when it happens. I had luck only once blowing CO2 down the liquid line and getting it to stay clear. Other times I have had to remove the dip tube, clean and replace, run off some hop gunk until it clogs again, then repeat a couple times. A longer term solution is a screen as mentioned or trimming the dip tubes a bit.

I may have misread the NB writeup, I thought the posts could not be removed.

I haven't seen these kegs, but the poppets are still in the post, right?

So if the posts are removable, I'm quite sure the poppets can be pried out. They may sit on an inner ledge inside the post, so they need a little help. At least if the OP can get the posts off, it's a bit more serviceable.

You should be able to obtain a replacement ball lock post and removable poppet; once in hand you could bleed the pressure and remove the clogged up post/poppet combo. **** can the troublesome piece and replace it with the standard post and removable poppet. If that is not doable look into a used keg and bleed the pressure out of the old one and move your beer to it. I would fill up the used keg with a little co2 to avoid oxygen issues. I hate crap that is not serviceable and that fails.

It's not that big a deal to clean them in place. Sure I prefer everything to be removable, but IME it doesn't affect their function and removable poppets get gunked up just as often. If you don't like the idea then you should be able to replace with a universal poppet as Lizard described without having to buy a brand new post. In this case though I think it's just as likely to be a clogged diptube.

Quick update,

Contacted customer service at Northern Brewer and they ended up sending me a new post for free.
Here is the 2nd reply "On these posts, the poppet is not replaceable, ( not easily, at least ) but the whole post should be able to be removed and replaced. I would just send poppets if that could have been done easily, but it sounds like those are pressed into the post and are hard to remove. Let's hope this solves the problem! Have a good day!"

Bled off the pressure and installed the new post. Then I reconnected gas for a few days to recarb since beer had gone a bit flat. It's now pouring nicely and just as important is tasty :)

Again thanks for all the replies.

Cheers
Chris

Still seems to me like poor product deign to have a non-removable poppet in a post. I hope the replacement post that you received has a removable poppet.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back