Priming Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdurning

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm about to bottle my first batches of 1gal mead (wildflower and a cranberry mead) and would like to carbonate them, but don't know if there are special considerations. Do I approach this just like bottle conditioning a beer? Does the yeast I used (EC-1118) call for any special approach? It ripped through the mead incredibly, and I don't want to accidentally overcarbonate.

Thanks guys!

The process is generally the same, though my preference is to use the same style of honey rather than dextrose and champagne bottles rather than thinner beer bottles. Considerations are the fact EC has a high alcohol tolerance, and meads may drop below 1.000 for FG, so be certain the fermentation is finished. For 1 gal, about 1/2 tbsp (including whatever residuals stick to the spoon) should suffice. As you would with the dextrose, boil a small amount of water, mix the honey in thoroughly, and mix this into your mead while minimizing splashing.

I agree the process should be essentially the same as for beer, and definitely be sure you are at stable terminal gravity. Your best bet for adding priming sugar is to use a calculator...there's a good one at the Northern Brewer site; this one is unique in that it gives you calculations for a wide variety of sugar sources, including honey.

Latest posts

Back