Primary explosion while away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bossbrews

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am currently fermenting a 5.5 gallon batch of Allagash White. I used the Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier yeast that says you need about 33% headspace as it is a "cropping yeast." Have no idea what that means. I made a starter for it too.

In any case, I saw that and decided to add a blow off tube to the 6.5 glass carboy I used. In less than a day activity was aggressive and the blow off tube was definitely a good idea. In about 36 hours, the activity died down quite a bit, so I decided to yank off the tube and replaced it with a sanitized airlock. I then agitated the carboy a bit and was off on my trip.

I was out of town for the weekend and got word from my girlfriend earlier today (as I brew at her place) that the beer was exploding. I got in late tonight, so I won't be able to see the actual damage until tomorrow, but I guess the airlock lid and the cap part flew off and struck the ceiling. I have no idea how long the beer could've been exposed to air. I just told her to clean up the cap and top and just put them back on.

Should I be worried about anything? I know this has happened to me in the past, but not for as long as 3 days, so I'm not totally sure.

Also, why would this happen when it appears the initial aggressive fermentation had subdued? Could it have been the yeast strain? I should note that there was a significant temperature rise over the weekend towards the warm side, but it was stored in a mostly temperature controlled apartment. Could temperature catalyze that sort of activity by the yeast?

Any of your insights, comments or assessments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Why, in all that's brew holy, did you agitate the brew the second time??? You should ONLY do that before you add yeast, so that you get air/oxygen within the wort for the yeast to reproduce in a healthy way. Once fermentation starts, you don't do it again. You risk oxidizing the brew when you do it a second time. This is why people are careful when racking brews, even if it's only one time to either the bottling bucket, or corny keg.

I used the Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier yeast that says you need about 33% headspace as it is a "cropping yeast."

It's a "top cropping" yeast. Unfortunately, you missed the most important detail of that description. That means it actually works and settles primarily on the top of the wort/beer, not on the bottom as most yeasts do (even most ale yeasts). These yeasts tend to produce a s*** ton of kräusen, hence the warning for plenty of headspace. My darling 1318 is another one of these, though it's not too bad/crazy in the kräusen department. I hope all is well with your beer. Given all the junk moving out of the fermentor, there was probably not much chance anything nasty got in. Cleanup, though, may be a nightmare. Good luck!

Ah I see. Curses. Thankfully, I put my carboys in a decently sized stand-in shower, so shouldn't be that hard to clean.

3944 is a beast. One of my favorites.

That is what I have been using for my wheat beers also. Works great but it can get a little wild at times. Blow off tubes are definitely required.

rousing yeast and agitating the carboy might be two different things. maybe the CO2 in the carboy would protect the beer from oxidation? maybe not. a sanitized racking cane swirled in the carboy would rouse your yeast with less worry about oxidation.

Back