primary bucket carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roymullins

Reaction score
thanks to the advice of many here... going to NOT use a secondary fermenter this time and going to let it go and bottle from primary- my questions is how to carbonate? not really interested in teaspoons and funnels for every damn bottle- concerned about putting a sugar liquid into the primary bucket before bottling because I would stir up all the mess from the bottom that I have waited so patiently to allow to settle before bottling... I read that you could carefully stir in your priming sugar and then let it settle for 1/2 an hour- just doesn't seem like it would allow it to settle enough- any thoughts or experiences?

(I know... just man up and buy a keg system... someday, someday...)

You should probably have a bottling bucket with a spigot - rack into that, add your priming sugar and bottle from there.

I just got a beer kit with bottling bucket for Christmas and was wondering the same thing. Does it make sense to transfer beer from bucket to carboy after fermentation then back to clean bucket for bottling? Or just buy another bucket.

^^^
For most standard beers, no.

Ferment in primary, no secondary, when ready to bottle put priming solution in bottling bucket then rack the beer from primary to bottling bucket, ensuring to suck up as little as possible of the trub in the bottom. It's not hard if you just keep an eye on what you're doing with the siphon.

I've only done two batches so far but have only used the primary and both beers are/were very clear. I will finally be using the carboy that came in my kit on my next batch (next Saturday), only because it's a lager with suggested lagering time of up to 12 weeks and don't want to tie up my primary bucket for that long.

Latest posts

Back